Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file Post 302292185 by Banni on Friday 27th of February 2009 05:33:40 AM
Old 02-27-2009
Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file

Hi

I have a txt file with 4 columns where I need to add 4 empty columns in the middle meaning that I need what is currently column 4 to be column 8 in a new file.

The idea is that I have to use the file as input in a program that reads the data in column 1 and 8, so the content of the other columns doesn't matter.

I am a total newbie but have tried something like:

gawk '{print $1,"\t ","\t ","\t ","\t " , $2 , $3 , $4}' filename.txt > test

And this adds space between the original columns 1 and 2 but apparently this doesn't qualify as being columns but just "space".

I keep getting the following error when running my program(and there's nothing wrong with that command because it works with a file with the correct number of columns):

READING HLA POPULATION COVERAGE FILE:test
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/people/lunde/python/popcover6_HLAonly.py", line 349, in ?
HLAcoverindex, popcoverlist = readpop(open(opts.coveragefilename, 'r'))
File "/home/people/lunde/python/popcover6_HLAonly.py", line 105, in readpop
coverage = float(fields[7])
IndexError: list index out of range

Hope someone can help me out. Please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns in tab delimited file

I want to read only one column in "|" delimited file and write that column to a new file. For Ex: Input File 1|abc|324|tt 2|efd|11|cbcb 3||1|fg 4|ert|23|88 Output : I want to read column 3 in diff file. 324 11 1 88 Can anyone give me inputs on this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nth Columns in a Tab delimited file

Hi Can anyone help me to identify the nth field from a Tab delimited file? Thanks Subrat (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a tab delimited text file?

I have a tab limited text file with 10000+ columns. I want to delete columns 6 through 23, how do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty lines at the end of a Tab-delimited file

I'm trying to remove all of the empty lines at the end of a Tab delimited file. They have no data just tabs. I've tried may things, here are a couple: sed /^\t.\t/d File1 > File2 sed /^\t{44}/d File1 > File2 What am I missing? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add a header to a tab delimited .txt file?

Hi, I have a tab delimited document with 18 columns. My file looks like: comp1000201_c0_seq1 comp1000201_c0 337 183.51 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 ---NA--- 337 0 0 - comp1000297_c0_seq1 comp1000297_c0 612 458.50 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alisrpp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert empty columns inside a pipe delimited file

Hi All , I have pipe delimiter file with 11 columns . I need to insert 4 empty columns after column 10 . and After 11 column I need to insert a column which is having the same value for all the rows . My file 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11 New file ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
PYTHON-COVERAGE(1)					      General Commands Manual						PYTHON-COVERAGE(1)

NAME
python-coverage - measure code coverage of Python program execution SYNOPSIS
python-coverage -x module.py [ARG...] python-coverage -e python-coverage -r [-m] python-coverage -a [file...] DESCRIPTION
python-coverage executes a Python program and measures which of its statements are executed and which are not. It stores the information in the file .coverage in the current working directory. OPTIONS
-e Erase the .coverage file. -x Execute a Python module, giving it the remaining command line arguments. -r Produce a coverage report. -m With -r, show the line numbers that were missed by the execution. -a Annotate source files. For each source file foo, produce foo,cover, with executed lines prefixed by ">" and non-executed by "!". --help Produce a help summary. It might be more helpful than this manual page. AUTHOR
The python-coverage command is a one-line Python script which calls the coverage.py Python module to do all the work. The module was rigi- nally developed by Gareth Rees, and is now developed by Ned Batchelder. The module's home page is http://www.nedbatchelder.com/code/modules/coverage.html. This manual page was cobbled together by Lars Wirzenius for Debian, by copy-pasting from the help texts from the module. PYTHON-COVERAGE(1)