Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fork-getrusage
Top Forums Programming fork-getrusage Post 302292058 by nicos on Thursday 26th of February 2009 07:51:12 PM
Old 02-26-2009
Error execl-getrusage

PLZ help! I cannot put getrusage after execl, because the commands after execl executed only if execl crashes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fork

What is a fork? Why would one create a fork? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fork? Please advise. Thank You. Deepali (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepali
5 Replies

2. Programming

fork()

#include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define MAX_COUNT 200 #define BUF_SIZE 100 void main(void) { pid_t pid; int i; char buf; fork(); pid = getpid(); for (i = 1; i <= MAX_COUNT; i++) { sprintf(buf,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKSRaja
2 Replies

3. Programming

Fork or what?

Hello all. I'm developing a filetransfer application, which is supposed to work sort of like dcc, with multiple transfers etc. Now i wonder what the best way to manage the transfers is. Should i fork() for each new transfer, hogging loads of memory or use pthreads? Maybe I can use select to see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crippe
0 Replies

4. Programming

Fork ()

hi all About this code for (i = 1; i < n; i++) if ((childpid = fork()) <= 0) break; I really can't understand the output . and the way fork () return the value . how about the process Id ,the child process Id and the parent ID in this case so please answer me soon (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
5 Replies

5. Programming

fork() help

Hi everybody, I wanna write a code to understand how fork works. my target -------------- -Parent creates a file(called temp) and writes into this file "1".Then it closes the file. -Then parent creates a child and wait until execution of this child ends. -Then child opens the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexicopax
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

getrusage()

Hi, Can someone gives me an example for the use of getrusage() under HP-UX and AIX. I am using this function to get system statistics. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limame
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
1 Replies

8. Programming

Fork and \n

Hi, I wrote a simple program for understanding the fork command. The code is as below int main(void) { fork(); printf("hi 1 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 2 \n"); fork(); printf("hi 3 \n"); } I am getting a variation in the number of times the printf is called if i remove the \n from each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123456
2 Replies

9. Programming

Fork()

does fork() spawn only the parent process, what if fork() is looped, does it spawn the parent and the child? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork()

I'm trying to run a simple test on how to use fork(), i'm able to execute the child process first then the parent, but how can I execute parent then child..? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies
varargs(3EXT)						    Extended Library Functions						     varargs(3EXT)

NAME
varargs - handle variable argument list SYNOPSIS
#include <varargs.h> va_alist va_dcl va_list pvar; void va_start(va_listpvar); type va_arg(va_list pvar, type); void va_end(va_list pvar); DESCRIPTION
This set of macros allows portable procedures that accept variable argument lists to be written. Routines that have variable argument lists (such as printf(3C)) but do not use varargs are inherently non-portable, as different machines use different argument-passing conventions. va_alist is used as the parameter list in a function header. va_dcl is a declaration for va_alist. No semicolon should follow va_dcl. va_list is a type defined for the variable used to traverse the list. va_start is called to initialize pvar to the beginning of the list. va_arg will return the next argument in the list pointed to by pvar. type is the type the argument is expected to be. Different types can be mixed, but it is up to the routine to know what type of argument is expected, as it cannot be determined at runtime. va_end is used to clean up. Multiple traversals, each bracketed by va_start and va_end, are possible. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample program. This example is a possible implementation of execl (see exec(2) ). #include <unistd.h> #include <varargs.h> #define MAXARGS 100 /* execl is called by execl(file, arg1, arg2, ..., (char *)0); */ execl(va_alist) va_dcl { va_list ap; char *file; char *args[MAXARGS]; /* assumed big enough*/ int argno = 0; va_start(ap); file = va_arg(ap, char *); while ((args[argno++] = va_arg(ap, char *)) != 0) ; va_end(ap); return execv(file, args); } SEE ALSO
exec(2), printf(3C), vprintf(3C), stdarg(3EXT) NOTES
It is up to the calling routine to specify in some manner how many arguments there are, since it is not always possible to determine the number of arguments from the stack frame. For example, execl is passed a zero pointer to signal the end of the list. printf can tell how many arguments are there by the format. It is non-portable to specify a second argument of char, short, or float to va_arg, since arguments seen by the called function are not char, short, or float. C converts char and short arguments to int and converts float arguments to double before passing them to a function. stdarg is the preferred interface. SunOS 5.10 10 May 2002 varargs(3EXT)