Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find command returns files with spaces, mv won't work... Post 302291944 by Stephan on Thursday 26th of February 2009 03:42:17 PM
Old 02-26-2009
find command returns files with spaces, mv won't work...

Hi guys.

I am trying, to move files found with the find command...
Script runs fine, until it reaches a file that contains spaces...

Here is what i wrote up quickly.

ROOTDIR=/apps/data
SEARCH=$(find /data/HDTMPRestore/home/tmq/ -type f -print | grep Mods/Input/bck | cut -c19-)

for i in $SEARCH

do
echo mv -i $ROOTDIR$i $i
done

In the find, i "cut" the first 19 characters as i can then use it in the mv later one...

I inserted an echo to see the move command prior to executing it...

if i launch the find at the command line, i get this:

/home/tmq/rSIMPL/Mods/Input/bck/2007-12 SEC Balance LOAD #3.csv

But through the script, it comes out like this:

mv -i /home/tmq/rSIMPL/Mods/Input/bck/2007-12 /home/tmq/rSIMPL/Mods/Input/bck/2007-12
mv -i SEC SEC
mv -i Balance Balance
mv -i LOAD LOAD
mv -i #3.csv #3.csv

So my mv -i $ROOTDIR$i $i does not work. I am thinking the variable "i" is getting each entry following a space. How can i get it to "read" the whole line as a whole?

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant find command that returns blank line

This is my list of sed commands: can anyone tell me where im going wrong. The script works on a file called data which contains 6 student id's and there answers for 6 questions. !/bin/sh sed -e 's/*//g' \ #replace * with nothing -e s/ /X/g' \ #replacing empty space with X -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why won't this Work?

hey programmers! 1-why won't gcc accept as an argument? i tried the recommendations on the man page of getch(),..etc. nothing worked. 2-why it won't see <iostream> && <fstream> even if i implemented the function as follow std::cout<<"..etc"<<endl; 3-after i type this code in it gives... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbabeli
6 Replies

3. AIX

does find command always work ?!

hello ! can so help me ? here is my problem : a same command, using find command works on a server, but doesn't on another. I've been told, that it could be because of the file systems ... it's amazing ! can so explain, please ? thank you for your answer (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chocolate
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces and carriage returns in 'here documents'

As the title suggests, i am having some trouble figuring out how to pass spaces and carriage returns to a 'here document' ie #!/bin/bash /usr/local/install_script.sh <<SCRIPT yes no <pass carriage retun here> yes no <pass a space and then a carriage return here> exit SCRIPT any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Why won't the at command work in Mac OS X?

I typed: echo "echo hi > at_log.txt" | at now +1minute to test the at command on my terminal. I got the message: job 8 at Thu Feb 25 18:42:00 2010 I waited for a minute but nothing happened. I tried listing at_log.txt, but it said there was no such file. Am I doing something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find -size -7M finds files, but won't cp them all

If I run: find /somefolder -type f -size -7M | wc -l I get 73594 files But when I run find /somefolder -type f -size -7M -exec /bin/cp -v {} /someotherfolder/ \; it only copies 38891 of the files to the folder, why? There's a mix of all types of files in /somefolder. Is there some other... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
12 Replies

7. BSD

Install cd won't work

Hi! I'm sure that somebody here installed freeBSD from a download of a virtual disc (.iso). But I made 5 downloads of 5 differents freeBSD installation (and no one has worked).Can somebody tell me where to download and how (if needed) to prepare the cd? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxum
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Images won't work?

Hello, Images won't work on UNIX when I try posting them on my website I'm working on. It doesn't show the image, and it's simply erroring. Help! Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yazan
5 Replies

9. AIX

Find and rm files with spaces in the name

I'm sure this has been answered before, but my searches have not turned up the right solution. :confused: I need to remove files in a directory, without descending into subdirectories, older than n days. Some of the filenames contain spaces or other special characters: E10403 (2) E20402 (2)... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Lee
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux find command returns nothing

Under one of my directories on server I have more than 500 files with different type and name. When I run the find command to list the files with 'ABC_DEFGH' in the begining of its name and older than 20 days, nothing is return as result. Though I know there are more than 400 files which their name... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Home
10 Replies
FREEDINK(6)							       Games							       FREEDINK(6)

NAME
FreeDink - adventure and role-playing game (engine) SYNOPSIS
freedink [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
Starts the Dink Smallwood game or one of its D-Mods. -h, --help Display this help screen -v, --version Display the version -g, --game <dir> Specify a DMod directory -r, --refdir <dir> Specify base directory for dink/graphics, D-Mods, etc. -d, --debug Explain what is being done -i, --noini Do not attempt to write dinksmallwood.ini -j, --nojoy Do not attempt to use joystick -s, --nosound Do not play sound -t, --truecolor Allow more colours (for recent D-Mod graphics) -w, --window Use windowed mode instead of screen mode -7, --v1.07 Enable v1.07 compatibility mode REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to bug-freedink@gnu.org. FreeDink is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the GNU GPL for details. http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. FreeDink 1.08.20120427 April 2012 FREEDINK(6)