Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A script that read specific fileds from the 7th line in a file Post 302291918 by cfajohnson on Thursday 26th of February 2009 02:52:40 PM
Old 02-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samura
Dear All,

I need a unix script that will read the 7th line

To read the 7th line from a file:

Code:
{ read; read; read; read; read; read; read line7; } < FILENAME

Or:

Code:
line7=$( sed -n '7{p
q
}' FILENAME  )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to read specific lines in a file

I have a file with contents as follows Record 1: Rejected - Error on table "DWO"."P2G_CUST_EVENTS". ORA-00001: unique constraint (DWO.CUST_EVENTS_PK) violated Record 5: Rejected - Error on table "DWO"."P2G_CUST_EVENTS". ORA-00001: unique constraint (DWO.CUST_EVENTS_PK) violated Record 6:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varshanswamy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read specific line of text from a Script and send email notification

Hi ! I am a newbie and never officially wrote a shell script before. The requirement for this script is : 1) Read a file called 'bpm.log' and identify if it has a specific text such as 'this is the text'. Its a static value and that is the only text we need to read. 2) If that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from specific line number in shell script?

I have a text file which is having 30000 lines in it. I have to create a xml file for each 10000 lines until all the lines in the text files are written. Also please help how can i get number of lines in the text file in a shell variable? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from nth line to specific character

Hi, I want to read the file from nth line (where n is an integer) to until I encounter @ char. Can any one please help me how to do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laalesh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read particular line in file from specific column?

Hi...friends.... I want to create inventory...information for that I need to read some specific row say 2nd row from 1st 3 column and and write data with particular file used, I have some more column also but I need only 3 column data of first entry after header I attached sample file..those... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read specific line from a file

Hi, I have a ldif file like below: version: 1 dn: cn=Test Group,ou=Applications,dc=xyz,dc=com objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames objectClass: top cn: Test Group uniqueMember: uid=abc,ou=People,o=xyz,o=Corporate,dc=xyz,dc=com dn: cn=Test Sub Group,cn=Test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies