Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple excel files processing on unix Post 302291903 by ShawnMilo on Thursday 26th of February 2009 02:24:47 PM
Old 02-26-2009
If the tool you have is the only way you can process Excel files from your working environment, then it seems like it's not possible to concat them, since they're in binary format, and concatenating them will make the file either unusable to the ETL tool, or it will only read the first file and stop at the first end-of-file indicator.

However, is there any chance that you can get at the output of your ETL app, and concatenate the output of the three files before they're moved on to the next step?

If you can somehow get the XLS files converted to CSV and combine them before processing then you might be able to pull it off -- I'm sure your ETL tool can process a CSV file as an Excel spreadsheet if it can read the XLS format. There are Unix tools that can read XLS and export them as comma-delimited or tab-delimited files, such as the abtab (abstract table) utilities. I used them for two years at my old job.

abtab - Google Code (I don't know how up-to-date the Google Code files are compared to the in-house version I was using, but it should work.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple excel work sheets through UNIX

Hi, There is this requirement to create multiple work sheets in an MS Excel file through UNIX. We normally can create one work sheet in unix by either tab or comma delimiting and appending .xls or .csv to the file name, but can we create multiple work sheets. Regards, Puspendu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puspendu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Multiple Files

Hello Everyone, I am new to scripting and confused with how to do this efficiently. I am trying to use AWK to do this. I have a lot of files in a folder which has the data of my throughput measurements in two columns i.e. Serial # and Throughput. like this 177.994 847.9 178.996 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hakim
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add multiple .csv files as sheets to an excel file in unix.

Hi, I am using Solaris 8. My script outputs 4 .csv files. Currently I am SFTPing the files and creating a new excel file with the 4 files as sheets. Can anyone suggest ways to do this in UNIX ? Thanks, David. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: libin4u2000
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single output of awk script processing multiple files

Helllo UNIX Forum :) Since I am posting on this board, yes, I am new to UNIX! I read a copy of "UNIX made easy" from 1990, which felt like a making a "computer-science time jump" backwards ;) So, basically I have some sort of understanding what the basic concept is. Problem Description:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kasimir
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple groups of files processing

I have five directories, dir1 to dir5 for each directory, I have all same number-named folders. There are four types of folders, {1..10}, {20..30}, { 40..50}, {60..70} Now for each types of folder, I will do the same thing, here is the code for i in {1..5} do cd dir$i mkdir temp1 for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgreen
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create separate files from one excel file with multiple sheets

Hi, I have one requirement, create separate files (".csv") from one excel file(xlsx) with multiple sheets. These ".csv" files are my source files. So anybody please suggest me the process. Thanks in Advance. Regards, Harris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harris
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files awk

hai i need my single awk script to act on 4 trace files of ns2 and to calculate througput and it should print result from each trace file in a single trace file. i tried with the following code but it doesnt work awk -f awkscript inputfile1 inputfile2 inputfile3 inputfile4>outputfile ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathyy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write two csv files into one excel with multiple sheets

I have requirement to write two CSV files to one single excel with multiple sheets. Data present in the two files should sit in excel as different sheets. How can we achieve this using shell script? 1.csv 2. csv 1,2,3,4 5,6,7,8 XXXXX YYYYY Res.excel 1.csv data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duplicate
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files

Hello I have a program cfxfrwb which is designed to remove headers from reports files. The cfxfrwb is located in the following directory /u01/efin/v40/live/bin I run the program against a single report file in the temp directory and it does it's job../cfxfrwb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainrhodes
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files (environment setting)

Hello I posted on here a while ago about processing multiple files within a script. See original post below: I have a program cfxfrwb which is designed to remove headers from reports files. The cfxfrwb is located in the following directory /u01/efin/v40/live/bin I run the program against... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainrhodes
8 Replies
LOGCONV.PL(1)						      General Commands Manual						     LOGCONV.PL(1)

NAME
logconv.pl - analyzes Directory Server access log files SYNOPSIS
logconv.pl [-h] [-d <rootDN>] [-s <size limit>] [-v] [-V] [-S <start time>] [-E <end time>] [-efcibaltnxgjuU] [ access log ... ... ] DESCRIPTION
Analyzes Directory Server access log files for specific information defined on the command line OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below: -h, --help help/usage -d, --rootDN <Directory Managers DN> DEFAULT -> cn=directory manager -D, --data <Location for temporary data files> DEFAULT -> /tmp TIP -> If there is not enough RAM, a RAM disk can be used instead: mkdir /dev/shm/logconv, and use this directory for the "-D" value. -s, --sizeLimit <Number of results to return per category> DEFAULT -> 20 -X, --excludeIP <IP address to exclude from connection stats> E.g. Load balancers -v, --version show version of tool Print version of the tool -S, --startTime <time to begin analyzing logfile from> Time to begin analyzing logfile from E.g. [28/Mar/2002:13:14:22 -0800] -E, --endTime <time to stop analyzing logfile> Time to stop analyzing logfile from E.g. [28/Mar/2002:13:24:62 -0800] -M, --reportFileMins <CSV output file> This option creates a CSV report for spreadsheets. -m, --reportFileSecs <CSV output file> This option creates a CSV report for spreadsheets. -B, --bind <ALL | ANONYMOUS | Bind DN > This generates a report based on either ALL bind dn's, anonymous binds, or a specific DN. -V, --verbose <enable verbose output - includes all stats listed below except U> Verbose output -[efcibaltnxgjuU] e Error Code stats f Failed Login Stats c Connection Code Stats i Client Stats b Bind Stats a Search Base Stats l Search Filter Stats t Etime Stats n Nentries Stats x Extended Operations r Most Requested Attribute Stats g Abandoned Operation Stats j Recommendations u Unindexed Search Stats (very detailed) y Connection Latency Stats p Open Connection ID Stats U Unindexed Search Summary USAGE
Examples: logconv.pl -s 10 -V access logconv.pl -d "cn=directory manager" /export/server4/slapd-host/logs/access* logconv.pl -s 50 -ibgju access* logconv.pl -S "[28/Mar/2002:13:14:22 -0800]" -E "[28/Mar/2002:13:50:05 -0800]" -e access AUTHOR
logconv.pl was written by the 389 Project. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to http://bugzilla.redhat.com. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Sun Microsystems, Inc. Used by permission. Copyright (C) 2008 Red Hat, Inc. This manual page was written by Michele Baldessari <michele@pupazzo.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the Directory Server license found in the LICENSE file of this software distribution. This license is essentially the GNU General Public License version 2 with an exception for plug-in distribution. May 18, 2008 LOGCONV.PL(1)