Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array reference - bad substitution Post 302291880 by cfajohnson on Thursday 26th of February 2009 01:50:55 PM
Old 02-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swankgd
I've created a series of arrays named as follows:

row1[]
row2[]
row3[]
row10[]

Each has 4 elements.

I'm trying to echo the array elements out in a for loop. Here's what I have:
Code:
for ((i=1;i<=10;i++))
do
  for ((j=1;j<=4;j++)) 
  do
    eval out=${row`echo $i`[$j]}
    echo -n $out
  done
  echo
done

Code:
i=1
while [ $i -le 10 ]; do
  j=0
  while [ $j -le 4 ]; do
    eval "printf '%s\n' \"\${row$i[$j]}\""
    printf "%s" "$out"
    j=$(( $j + 1 ))
  done
  i=$(( $i + 1 ))
done

Simpler is:

Code:
i=1
while [ $i -le 10 ]; do
  eval "printf '%s\n' \"\${row$i[@]}\""
  i=$(( $i + 1 ))
done

Quote:
I get the bad substitution error on the eval out= assignment. Oddly, just a few lines before that, almost the exact same syntax works fine for assigning the values to the arrays ( eval row`echo $i`[$j]=......)

Perhaps you can adapt this function to your needs:

Code:
## Usage: printarray arrayname
## Example: i=3; printarray row$1
printarray()
{
  eval "printf '%s\n' \"\${$1[@]}\""
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Substitution

Need Help... I am getting a bad substitution error on my script on a Solaris Server. However the script has been proven to work on HPUX and Solaris servers... #!/usr/bin/sh # # Set the location of the tzupdater.jar file # JAR=/tmp/tzupdater.jar # <<<<< UPDATE THIS LINE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: D_Redd74
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Variable Reference and Substitution

I can't seem to make what appears to be a simple substitution. I want to define a list of systems for which daily reports need to be filed systems="systemA systemC systemZ" I then want to run a loop for i in ${systems} Analyze statistics Create the reports mailx (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mugsymark
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error in ksh

hi, i created a shell script having the following content: #! /usr/bin/ksh FROM="myemail@domain.com" MAILTO="someemail@domain" SUBJECT="TEST" BODY="/export/home/adshocker/body.txt" ATTACH="/export/home/adshocker/attach.prog" echo $ATTACH ATTACH_NAME="${ATTACH##*/}" echo $ATTACH_NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad substitution

#!/bin/bash a1=( win 12,01,02,03,04 ) a2=( pre 04,05,06 ) a3=( msn 06,07,08,09 ) Given the above arrays, I want the script to return/echo the following in a loop; win 12,01,02,03,04 pre 04,05,06,07 msn 06,07,08,09 But I can't get it to do as such. I've tried; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bad substitution error!

Hi All, I'm building a new shell script but i'm facing a problem with one line which is giving "bad substitution" error. Please assist script lines: #!/bin/sh printf "%s: " "Occurrence DATE (YYYYMMDD)"; read DATE shortdate=${DATE#??} o/p: ./test1: bad substitution This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

6. Programming

Make: Bad Substitution

Hi, I have a make file which I try to execute, but it failed when it arrived to the line: for r in ${PIPESTATUS }; do if (($r != 0)); then exit $r; fi;done; With the Error: ""make:/bin/sh: Bad substitution"" Or the Error: "make:${PIPESTATUS[...}: Bad substitution" (Depend on the operating... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadne
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why I get bad bad substitution when using eval?

Why I get bad replace when using eval? $ map0=( "0" "0000" "0") $ i=0 $ eval echo \${map$i} 0000 $ a=`eval echo \${map$i}` !!!error happens!!! bash: ${map$i}: bad substitution How to resolve it ? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution

Cant undestand :) why i have an error on line 2.it is working on my other boxes #!/bin/bash ret=$(echo Q | timeout 5 openssl s_client connect "${1`hostname`}:${2-443}" -ssl3 2> /dev/null) if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Protocol.*SSLv3'; then if echo "${ret}" | grep -q 'Cipher.*0000'; then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substitution issues.. but why?

i am trying to prepare a train and test dataset, for which i need to randomly split the data into corresponding folders (train,test).. I began on a simple script, but seem to get som weird error messages, that i cannot make sense of?.. what am I doing wrong? #!/bin/bash RED='\033] then... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution - ShellCheck says okay

ShellCheck doesn't find any issues with this script. #!/bin/bash # color_meanings: explain meanings of colors used in bash ls eval "$(echo "no:fi:di:ln:pi:so:do:bd:cd:or:mi:su:sg:tw:st:ex" | sed -e 's/:/=/g; s/\;/\n/g')" { IFS=: for i in $LS_COLORS do ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
18 Replies
ARRAY_MAP(3)								 1							      ARRAY_MAP(3)

array_map - Applies the callback to the elements of the given arrays

SYNOPSIS
array array_map (callable $callback, array $array1, [array $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_map(3) returns an array containing all the elements of $array1 after applying the $callback function to each one. The number of parameters that the $callback function accepts should match the number of arrays passed to the array_map(3) PARAMETERS
o $callback - Callback function to run for each element in each array. o $array1 - An array to run through the $callback function. o $... - Variable list of array arguments to run through the $callback function. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array containing all the elements of $array1 after applying the $callback function to each one. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_map(3) example <?php function cube($n) { return($n * $n * $n); } $a = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5); $b = array_map("cube", $a); print_r($b); ?> This makes $b have: Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => 8 [2] => 27 [3] => 64 [4] => 125 ) Example #2 array_map(3) using a lambda function (as of PHP 5.3.0) <?php $func = function($value) { return $value * 2; }; print_r(array_map($func, range(1, 5))); ?> Array ( [0] => 2 [1] => 4 [2] => 6 [3] => 8 [4] => 10 ) Example #3 array_map(3) - using more arrays <?php function show_Spanish($n, $m) { return("The number $n is called $m in Spanish"); } function map_Spanish($n, $m) { return(array($n => $m)); } $a = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5); $b = array("uno", "dos", "tres", "cuatro", "cinco"); $c = array_map("show_Spanish", $a, $b); print_r($c); $d = array_map("map_Spanish", $a , $b); print_r($d); ?> The above example will output: // printout of $c Array ( [0] => The number 1 is called uno in Spanish [1] => The number 2 is called dos in Spanish [2] => The number 3 is called tres in Spanish [3] => The number 4 is called cuatro in Spanish [4] => The number 5 is called cinco in Spanish ) // printout of $d Array ( [0] => Array ( [1] => uno ) [1] => Array ( [2] => dos ) [2] => Array ( [3] => tres ) [3] => Array ( [4] => cuatro ) [4] => Array ( [5] => cinco ) ) Usually when using two or more arrays, they should be of equal length because the callback function is applied in parallel to the corre- sponding elements. If the arrays are of unequal length, shorter ones will be extended with empty elements to match the length of the long- est. An interesting use of this function is to construct an array of arrays, which can be easily performed by using NULL as the name of the callback function Example #4 Creating an array of arrays <?php $a = array(1, 2, 3, 4, 5); $b = array("one", "two", "three", "four", "five"); $c = array("uno", "dos", "tres", "cuatro", "cinco"); $d = array_map(null, $a, $b, $c); print_r($d); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => 1 [1] => one [2] => uno ) [1] => Array ( [0] => 2 [1] => two [2] => dos ) [2] => Array ( [0] => 3 [1] => three [2] => tres ) [3] => Array ( [0] => 4 [1] => four [2] => cuatro ) [4] => Array ( [0] => 5 [1] => five [2] => cinco ) ) If the array argument contains string keys then the returned array will contain string keys if and only if exactly one array is passed. If more than one argument is passed then the returned array always has integer keys. Example #5 array_map(3) - with string keys <?php $arr = array("stringkey" => "value"); function cb1($a) { return array ($a); } function cb2($a, $b) { return array ($a, $b); } var_dump(array_map("cb1", $arr)); var_dump(array_map("cb2", $arr, $arr)); var_dump(array_map(null, $arr)); var_dump(array_map(null, $arr, $arr)); ?> The above example will output: array(1) { ["stringkey"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(5) "value" } } array(1) { [0]=> array(2) { [0]=> string(5) "value" [1]=> string(5) "value" } } array(1) { ["stringkey"]=> string(5) "value" } array(1) { [0]=> array(2) { [0]=> string(5) "value" [1]=> string(5) "value" } } SEE ALSO
array_filter(3), array_reduce(3), array_walk(3), information about the callback type. PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_MAP(3)