Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File already exists error while using '>' operator Post 302291689 by jathin12 on Thursday 26th of February 2009 06:54:13 AM
Old 02-26-2009
yep i am using tcsh. sorry i didn't mention that before.

But the code does not work!!!

it deletes all the content..

i want to delete only the blank lines

file1.lst
abcd
abcdef
abgfhy

<end of file>

Code:
grep -v '^$' file1.lst >! file1.lst
cat file1.lst

nothing is present.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

binary operator expected error

It is erroring for : binary operator expected on the if line. Any suggestions? Thanks in advence. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: apps_user
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unary operator expected error

Hi I am doing a script like if then echo "table name dosent exist" exit fi the problem is if $table_name is null then i am getting the error Please help me Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists using a NOT operator and shell variable

Hi, I'm new to UNIX, at least shell programming and am having trouble figuring out a problem i'm having. In one section in my nested if statement, i want the program to test if the file does not exist, based on an argument supplied at the command line by the user. What i have is elif ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error : -ne: unary operator expected

find . -name "*.*"|xargs grep WT:DBF_WL>> $F Wfexist=`cat $F|grep $i` echo $Wfexist if ; then echo $Wfexist echo "Workflow Exist" else touch $O chmod 777 $O echo $Wfexist echo $WfExist >> $O fi I am getting the error that -ne: unary operator expected in the line with red... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritu.s
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: =: unary operator expected error

Why am I getting this error.... #!/bin/sh # iOS-Ad-Remover # Marshall Ford @ marshallbford@gmail.com # This project is hosted @ http://ios-ad- # remover.sourceforge.net # Under the GNU GPL open source license clear echo if ; then echo "You need to be root to run this script."; exit 0; #... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbf123
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cp problems, file exists but error message

Basically, I want to copy all files (F03*) in this directory and merge/paste them into a new file (called SMER_2.03.12.SPU), yet the error message is "no such file or directory." I listed what is in my working directory, and the files do exist, so I'm not sure what's going on. The code's at the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ucsdee
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - binary operator expected error

Hello Unix forum. I'm encountering the following error "binary operator expected error" and I cannot seem to solve the issue. I have the following source files to process: CPA_LOOKUP_dat.lst PROFILE_TXN__dat.lst TRANSACTION_CODE_dat.lst PROFILE_TXN_OUT_OF_BALANCE_dat.lst ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unknown operator error while using a function

Hi, I wrote a function for the first time and not able to get the desired result. I have requirement to execute 10 queries. For this i wrote a function like below. function Command { typeset var SOL; if ; then CONNECTION="${CONNECTION} -e -time"; else SOL="`nzsql ${CONNECTION} -c... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
8 Replies

10. Programming

C++ operator overloading error

hi, I defined my own String class and overloaded the output operator with friend ostream& operator<<(ostream& os, const myString& str); //overloads the << operator so it can be used to output values of type myString which works fine. Until I try to execute the following statement: // +... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)