Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut a variabe value
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers cut a variabe value Post 302291333 by ShawnMilo on Wednesday 25th of February 2009 11:51:29 AM
Old 02-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunprasad
Hi All,

My target is to cut a variable value's.
My intput is "arunprasd12345678"
My output should be "12345678"

Operation is: Need to fileter out the last 8 characters of the value of a variable.

Please help me.
Try a regular expression to strip out everything but the digits.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
CheckDigits::M11_011(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CheckDigits::M11_011(3pm)

NAME
CheckDigits::M11_011 - compute check digits for VAT Registration Number (NL) SYNOPSIS
use Algorithm::CheckDigits; $ustid = CheckDigits('ustid_nl'); if ($ustid->is_valid('123456782')) { # do something } if ($ustid->is_valid('123456782B04')) { # do something } $cn = $ustid->complete('12345678'); # $cn = '123456782' $cn = $ustid->complete('12345678.B04'); # $cn = '123456782B04' $cd = $ustid->checkdigit('123456782'); # $cd = '2' $cd = $ustid->checkdigit('123456782B04'); # $cd = '2' $bn = $ustid->basenumber('123456782'); # $bn = '12345678'; $bn = $ustid->basenumber('123456782B04'); # $bn = '12345678.B04'; DESCRIPTION
This VATRN has 12 "digits", the third last must be a B, the fourth last is the checkdigit. I don't know anything about the meaning of the last two digits. You may use the whole VATRN or only the first eight digits to compute the checkdigit with this module. ALGORITHM 1. Beginning right with the digit before the checkdigit all digits are weighted with their position. I.e. the digit before the checkdigit is multiplied with 2, the next with 3 and so on. 2. The weighted digits are added. 3. The sum from step 2 is taken modulo 11. 4. If the sum from step 3 is 10, the number is discarded. METHODS is_valid($number) Returns true only if $number consists solely of numbers and hyphens and the two digits in the middle are valid check digits according to the algorithm given above. Returns false otherwise, complete($number) The check digit for $number is computed and inserted into the middle of $number. Returns the complete number with check digit or '' if $number does not consist solely of digits, hyphens and spaces. basenumber($number) Returns the basenumber of $number if $number has a valid check digit. Return '' otherwise. checkdigit($number) Returns the check digits of $number if $number has valid check digits. Return '' otherwise. EXPORT None by default. SEE ALSO
perl, CheckDigits, www.pruefziffernberechnung.de, AUTHOR
Mathias Weidner, <mathias@weidner.in-bad-schmiedeberg.de> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004,2005 by Mathias Weidner This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2008-05-17 CheckDigits::M11_011(3pm)