Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: removable usb flash drive
Operating Systems Solaris removable usb flash drive Post 302291317 by seyiisq on Wednesday 25th of February 2009 11:14:44 AM
Old 02-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Hmm, the commands output isn't consistent with the error message.

Run
"tail -f1 /var/adm/messages"
then plug your USB device in.
Post the lines that should appear.
pls see below

Code:
# tail -f1 /var/adm/messages
usage: tail [+/-[n][lbc][f]] [file]
       tail [+/-[n][l][r|f]] [file]
# tail -f /var/adm/messages
Feb 25 16:10:27 seyi-desk pcfs: [ID 255224 kern.info] NOTICE: pcfs: no such logical drive
Feb 25 16:10:48 seyi-desk scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1028,1c4@1d,7/storage@6/disk@0,0 (sd1):
Feb 25 16:10:48 seyi-desk       Command failed to complete...Device is gone
Feb 25 16:10:48 seyi-desk scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1028,1c4@1d,7/storage@6/disk@0,0 (sd1):
Feb 25 16:10:56 seyi-desk usba: [ID 691482 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1028,1c4@1d,7/storage@6 (scsa2usb0): Reinserted device is accessible again.
Feb 25 16:13:09 seyi-desk usba: [ID 691482 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1028,1c4@1d,2 (uhci2): Connecting device on port 2 failed
Feb 25 16:13:11 seyi-desk usba: [ID 691482 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci@0,0/pci1028,1c4@1d,7/storage@6 (scsa2usb0): Reinserted device is accessible again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

USB flash Drive

Hello all.. I have a Verbatim 2 GB flash drive. I also have Solaris 10 running on my workstation. If I am in the Windows environment, it detects the flash drive. But when I plug it while I am in solaris, nothing happens. How will solaris 10 detect my flash drive? What do I have to do? any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB flash drive is not mounting what to do...?

hello forum.. i am using RHEL 4.0 and my system is dual boot.normally the usb flash drive should be auto mount , but in my system i am unable to mount the drive plz help... i am a new user so plz give me in detail. thank u in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoranjan
5 Replies

3. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does HPUX 10.2 or 11.i support any USB flash drive?

Where can I get a driver that support usb flash drives for my unix machines. I need a solution to transfer data easily for techs. I am running C3750 and c8000 HP equipment. Or is there a way to mount them and use them without adding drivers? thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkend12
0 Replies

5. Solaris

removable flash drive

I have a removable usb flash drive which is visible below as no. 2 # rmformat Looking for devices... 1. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0 Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@1f,1/ide@0/sd@0,0 Connected Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

USB flash drive/keyfob will not automount

I am working on an Ubuntu Linux 8.10 system that I do not want to reboot. For some reason, USB flash drives (mass storage devices) now no longer automount. I want to restore that functionality without rebooting. I can manually mount and unmount these things by doing: cd /media sudo mkdir thing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5.0.5 & USB flash drive

Can someone help me with instructions on how to access a USB flash drive in SCO Unix 5.0.5? I need to copy ASCII text files that have been zipped onto the USB drive for transfer to a Windows computer. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlodata
0 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

How to install grub on USB flash drive?

I wanna install grub on my flash drive for rescue usage. My computer installs winxp, and I have fedora12 installed in vmware. I did like this: step1: format the flash drive as FAT in winXP. step2: in fedora12, mount the flash drive on /media/flash step3: excute the command: grub-install... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10 x86 from USB flash drive

Dear friends, I have the DVD image of solaris 10 but I don't have DVD writer to burn it onto a dvd R. I was wondering if I could install Solaris from my 4gb usb flash drive as my PC supports booting from usb. I have installed Windows 7 this way recently, I have no idea about Solaris. Could you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to increase cylinders on USB Flash Drive

Hello All, I faced a unique issue. I have written a script for transferring backup data on my host machine to a USB Flash drive. The Flash drive must be of 16GB size. So, my script creates two primary partitionon the USB flash drive. I require approx 5900 cylinders for the first partition on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
8 Replies
syslog.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    syslog.conf(4)

NAME
syslog.conf - syslogd configuration file SYNOPSIS
facility.severity destination Where: Is part of the system generating the message, specified in /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. See also the syslogd(8) reference page. The severity level, which can be emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, or debug. See /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h. The syslogd daemon logs all messages of the specified severity level plus all messages of greater severity. For example, if you specify level err, all messages of levels err, crit, alert, and emerg or panic are logged. A local file pathname to a log file, a host name for remote logging or a list of users. In the latter case the users will receive messages when they are logged in. An asterisk (*) causes a message to be sent to all users who are currently logged in. DESCRIPTION
The /etc/syslog.conf file is a system file that enables you to configure or filter events that are to be logged by syslogd. You can specify more than one facility and its severity level by separating them with semicolons. You can specify more than one facility logs to the same file by separating the facilities with commas, as shown in the EXAMPLES section. The syslogd daemon ignores blank lines and lines that begin with an octothorpe (#). You can specify # as the first character in a line to include comments in the file or to disable an entry. The facility and severity level are separated from the destination by one or more tab characters. If you want the syslogd daemon to use a configuration file other than the default, you must specify the file name with the following com- mand: # syslogd -f config_file Daily Log Files You can specify in the /etc/syslog.conf file that the syslogd daemon create daily log files. To create daily log files, use the following syntax to specify the path name of the message destination: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ { file} The file variable specifies the name of the log file, for example, mail.log or kern.log. If you specify a /var/adm/syslog.dated/file path name destination, each day the syslogd daemon creates a sub-directory under the /var/adm/syslog.dated directory and a log file in the sub-directory, using the following syntax: /var/adm/syslog.dated/ date / file Where: The date variable specifies the day, month, and time that the log file was created. The file variable specifies the name of the log file you previously specified in the /etc/syslog.conf file. The syslogd daemon automatically cre- ates a new date directory every 24 hours and also when you boot the system. The current directory is a link to the latest date directory. To get the latest logs, you only need to reference the /var/adm/syslog.dated/current directory. EXAMPLES
The following is a sample /etc/syslog.conf file: # # syslogd config file # # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug # kern.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log user.debug /var/adm/sys- log.dated/user.log daemon.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log auth.crit;syslog.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log mail,lpr.debug /var/adm/syslog.dated/misc.log msgbuf.err /var/adm/crash.dated/msgbuf.savecore kern.debug /var/adm/messages kern.debug /dev/console *.emerg * FILES
/etc/syslog.conf /etc/syslog.auth - Authorization file for remote logging. /usr/include/sys/syslog_pri.h - Common components of a syslog event log record. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: /usr/sbin/syslogd(8), /usr/sbin/binlogd(8) System Administration delim off syslog.conf(4)