Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Status of a Linux process
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Status of a Linux process Post 302291253 by rene_metaal on Wednesday 25th of February 2009 05:17:16 AM
Old 02-25-2009
Looking at ps C Column which is an indication of the "performance Costs"
And looking at the Time the process consumed I would say it is just waiting.
Also check with ps -ef | grep 31649 if it spawned other processes (is PPID)

To monitor a process top is a good tool to get a quick overview of resource uses.
You might also want to have a look at the nice and renice commands.

lsof is another owerfull command... e.g.
lsof -p 31649

Because Unix is a huge toolbox other might add some more ideas :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Process status display

On AIX 5.2, I use "ps -ef " command to display the process status, the field of command looks like: , the detailed contents are: # ps -ef |grep rtesfmrt Display: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 The origianl format shoud be: osa 32455 1 0 18:20 - 1:57 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting status of a signal in process?

Hi all, How can a process be aware of the signals it handles. I looked at available signal API, but couldn't find any help. If a process defines it own handler for a signal, the default handler for that signal becomes overridden. I am interested in getting to know the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluehive
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Process Status Without Shared Memory

Hello Folks, On a Solaris 8 system I am trying to diagnosis memory usage of the running processes. I've been using prstat, and top , but the outputs of those include the shared memory used by the process. Hence, more a dozen of running processes are using the shared memory, and the total memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: altinkaya
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List Process with their Status.

Hi all, How can I get the list of all the processes that are either Orphan or Zombie or Running or Ended or Stopped ? Please suggest !! Thanks. Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

5. Programming

process status

hello everybody!! i want to post a question! is there any way to get process status using C commands? To be more specific, i want to know whether a process is running or is stop or killed. thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the Status of a Process in an Instance

Hi, I am executing the command: "./opmnctl status" to get the status of the processes in the instance. There are totally 5 processes that are avaialble, out of which 3 are "Alive" and 2 are "Down". How can I use the IF loop to get the status and echo it?? For instance I want to run a check... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Check the process Status and do something

Hi we have weblogic deployed under Linux Enterprise 5 . Now i want to write a script that checks if weblogic is running or not I have found that weblogic uses Java as process . Can i do this way : my Script File : Echo Checking Status if then echo Server Running else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Pavanv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the process status

Hi, I have a cron job which runs every ten minutes, now i hav to check the process whether it is running or not only once and then this should be sent to a log file.. crontab : 00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * a process check ps = 'ps -ef |grep a ' if then echo " Success" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I learn the status of a process

how can I learn the status of a process (sleeping, running or ready.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merturk
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check status of process

Hi All, Have a query How to check for a process and if down start it , try if for 2 times and its not starting don't do it My code is working to some extent but while starting try starting both times. Please advise , whats wrong here ? if you have any other approach please do share. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
1 Replies
fair(7) 					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						   fair(7)

NAME
fair -- simple TCP load balancing service DESCRIPTION
fair is a load balancer for TCP connections. It can be used to distribute incoming connections for SMTP, HTTP or any other TCP service to multiple hosts, distributing the load as evenly as possible. fair consists of two daemons. The carrousel is the front-end; it keeps track of back-end hosts and their status, and forwards incoming con- nections to the back-ends in such a way that the load is distributed fairly. The transponder runs on the back-end hosts, it registers with the carrousel and sends it status information. The TCP connections forwarded by the carrousel are not sent to the transponder daemons but are sent directly to the desired service running on the back-end host. Both daemons share a single configuration file. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to set up fair to service HTTP connections and to distribute them over back-ends in the 192.168.1.0/24 sub- net. The configuration file /etc/fair.conf contains the following: WorkerService = http BalancerService = http AllowUDP = ^192.168.1.[0-9]+$ On www.example.com, the front-end server receiving the incoming HTTP connections, just run: carrousel On each of the back-ends run: transponder www.example.com SEE ALSO
carrousel(8), transponder(8), fair.conf(5) Debian GNU/Linux June 1, 2019 Debian GNU/Linux