Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Standard UNIX functions
Top Forums Programming Standard UNIX functions Post 302290466 by jim mcnamara on Monday 23rd of February 2009 11:33:20 AM
Old 02-23-2009
This has been a problem with UNIX over time - different "parentage" of a unix system may mean using different system calls. There have been a lot of attempts to get past this problem. POSIX (or SUSVn - the Single UNIX Specification Version nn) is one.

I would try this link here on the forums:
https://www.unix.com/unix-ieee-std-10...html#post26442

Note - POSIX does not attempt to deal with any implementation specifics, it just says this function() will do this. If you stick with POSIX as much as possible, porting is much less of a problem. It does not make it go away altogether.

VxWorks is a realtime system - I do not think POSIX will help that much - but I do not know VxWorks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which DVD standard I can use for UNIX???

Hi there, I just want to know what is the best DVD-writer & software I can use is PC, but I want to be able to read it from Unix. I tried to burn a DVD from my friend DVD-writer, when I try to read it in Unix the name of the file all mixed up. I'm not that familiar with DVD standard and which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding Standard For Unix Shell Scripting!!!

Is there any site on Coding Standard for Shell Scripting in UNIX. Please help me know!!!!! Thanks Om (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
1 Replies

3. Programming

Similar functions in unix

Hi, I am windows programer. I have very basic knowledge of Unix OS. I have written an application in Windows which consists of Win32 API namely WideCharToMultiByte(..) and MultiByteToWideChar(..). I am interested to deploy my application in unix platform henceforth I need to know IS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dayakarr
1 Replies

4. Programming

using c++ and c standard I/O functions

Is it not a healthy practice to mix C and C++ standard I/O functions together e.g. string name; // this is a declared instance of the string class in C++ printf("\nPlease enter your name: "); cin >> name; I did something similar in a program Im designing, and used it several... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix functions

Hi All, i have two functions in my script. question() { num=`ps -e | grep ps | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` qno=`expr $num % 10` grade=grade1 cat grade1/$qno answer ${grade} ${qno} } answer() { grade=$1 qno=$2 ansno=`wc -l $grade/ans/$qno | cut -d' ' -f1` j=0 while do (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Usha Shastri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive functions in Unix

Hi Guys, Is there a way to write a recursive function in unix? Thanks for your help in advance, Regards, Magesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

8. AIX

Unix 64-bit AIX V6.1 Standard Edition

Unix 64bit AIX v6.1 standard edition what do you mean ? function ? pls, help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khanhphv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

10. Programming

Newline in ANSI-C standard functions

Can someone outline the "best practice" (if any!) to handle newline in ANSI-C standard library functions? I had some confusion with these functions recently related to char array and char pointer. puts(), printf(), strcpy(), strncpy(), memset(). I seem to understand their basic use, but got... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
GETGID(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							GETGID(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
getgid - get the real group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> gid_t getgid(void); DESCRIPTION
The getgid() function shall return the real group ID of the calling process. RETURN VALUE
The getgid() function shall always be successful and no return value is reserved to indicate an error. ERRORS
No errors are defined. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
getegid(), geteuid(), getuid(), setegid(), seteuid(), setgid(), setregid(), setreuid(), setuid(), the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <sys/types.h>, <unistd.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 GETGID(3P)