Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: search and find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search and find Post 302290356 by stewartrose on Monday 23rd of February 2009 03:42:36 AM
Old 02-23-2009
Hi there,

Yes I did use find command but it needs a combintation of find and grep through about 100,000 files.
And that is where I get stuck

All the best from Alan

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search for a text in until i find that

In a CSH, i need to write a loop to seach continuously for text "Started" and then only exit from the loop when ever if finds that. Can someone please suggest how we can write this Thanks, Sateesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to search files using find

hi friens, :) if ther are files named .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find negative search

I have a config file as below. This file is delimited by ; First field is the starting directory for find command. Second field is -mtime value for the find command. Third field is combination of folder and file delimited by | /home/export/temp;+30;file1|dir1|file2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmoulee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a file without using find or which?

Hello, I am a newbie to Unix shell script writing. I have to write a Korn or Bash shell script to search for a file, where some file named <filename> is given at the prompt. So let's say the script command will be called locate_file. Then one could enter locate_file filename. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TPaine_4liberty
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive directory search using ls instead of find

I was working on a shell script and found that the find command took too long, especially when I had to execute it multiple times. After some thought and research I came up with two functions. fileScan() filescan will cd into a directory and perform any operations you would like from within... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find Search - Find files not matching a pattern

Hello all, this is my first and probably not my last question around here. I do hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. My question is as follows, I need to find files and possible folders which are not owner = AAA group = BBB with a said location and all sub folders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilobyter
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search: find current line, then search back

Hello. I want to find a line that has "new = 0" in it, then search back based on field $4 () in the current line, and find the first line that has field $4 and "last fetch" Grep or Awk preferred. Here is what the data looks like: 2013-12-12 12:10:30,117 TRACE last fetch: Thu Dec 12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimBurns
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use ls or find for search of subdirectories?

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Busybox search replacement for find

Hi, I am looking for a solution to find files in a folder and subfolders. Those files should be moved (some with spaces) when they were between 2015 Feb. 03 and 2014 Nov. 24. find . -type f -newermt "2010-01-01" ! -newermt "2010-06-01" I am working on a QNAP with a small busybox.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krischeu
2 Replies
lookbib(1)							   User Commands							lookbib(1)

NAME
lookbib - find references in a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
lookbib database DESCRIPTION
A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information. Each field starts on a line beginning with a `%', followed by a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting with `%'. The lookbib utility uses an inverted index made by indxbib to find sets of bibliographic references. It reads keywords typed after the `>' prompt on the terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords. If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another `>' prompt. It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by indxbib(1). In that case, only the first argument given to indxbib is specified to lookbib. If lookbib does not find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suffixes. It creates a file with a .ig suffix, suitable for use with fgrep (see grep(1)). lookbib then uses this fgrep file to find refer- ences. This method is simpler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files. FILES
x.ia x.ib x.ic index files x.ig reference file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), grep(1), indxbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Probably all dates should be indexed, since many disciplines refer to literature written in the 1800s or earlier. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 lookbib(1)