Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Who are all logged out
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Who are all logged out Post 302290307 by rikxik on Monday 23rd of February 2009 03:01:56 AM
Old 02-23-2009
If the users are using bash shell, you can put the tty command etc. in $HOME/.bash_logout - these commands are executed when the login shell exits.

If not bash, they I'm not sure you can do something at per user level. You best bet could be some sort of system-wide monitoring script but that option has lots of loopholes.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is user logged on??

How can i check to see if a user is logged on to the network? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: provo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

know who logged and logged out with their timings

being ordinary user (not having any administrative rights) can avail myself a facility to know who logged and logged out with their timings get popped onto my terminal as if it get echo 'ed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkandati
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

last logged on info

Hi how can I know the details of when valid system users last logged on? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last time logged in

Working in AIX (so no date -d) How can i display all the users who have not logged in for more than 40 days? A small quick script would be usefull, my scripts are always taking to long to execute, even before they are finished. Many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ughosting
5 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

logged out users

how to find out users who logged out within 5 minutes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshni
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

su ?? Who logged in First ??

Hi all, Say my login user id is "t007" and I login into the unix server first using my id and password and then I used to use "su" command to switch the user using root user id and password. Now, how the third person will come to know who has logged in as a first user ? As: Login: t007... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

7. Programming

logged in or logged out?

I have wrote a service with c++ which is always run and now I want to get with it the exact time in that the user log in or log out and then run a script. but the problem is that how could i find that the user logged in or logged out with out checking something frequently? thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrhosseini
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

who logged in

Hi friends I want to get a list of users who have logged in before 10 'o clock in the morning on a given date . I tried with who and last commands but last gives only the last login time How do i find who logged before 10 'o clock Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last user logged in

hi! How can I find into: /var/log/messages.4 /var/log/messages.3 /var/log/messages.2 /var/log/messages.1 /var/log/messages The last user do a login? (for example user1) My idea is to search by the pattern "Accepted password for" buy I necessary search into all files first and in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guif
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)