Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calling a Universe program
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users calling a Universe program Post 302290262 by botao on Sunday 22nd of February 2009 08:20:07 PM
Old 02-22-2009
ya2c (yet another 2 cents)

my 2 cents are about /dev/tty and nohup :

- first, you should consider that some applications "like" (*) to open "/dev/tty" ;

- the simplest test you should perform is to force you command to use "/dev/tty" and see if it satisfies your application ;

- speciffically, if you run a shell script in this fashion :

Code:
$ somescript.sh < /dev/tty > /dev/tty

- then your script should not complain about "tty output"

(*) they really shouldn't ; it's poor programming practice .

- second, nohup has 2 relevant properties :

-- it can't afford /dev/tty communication ;

-- it ignores ".profile" sourcing ;

- those two peculiarities above are responsible for most script execution misfortunes ;

- so if you need to run a script thru nohup, be sure to source your ".profile" explicitly within its first few lines ;

good luck, and success !

alexandre botao

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling SHELL script from C program

Hi, I just tried to call a simple script from a pretty simple C program. I could not succeed :-( a message was thrown saying "sh: line 1: "Script name with path": Permission denied" The C program and shell script are below, both are in the same directory and shell script is given... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

calling program

hi, i have a script.sh on my machine and it used in the system but my question is how can i know the program called this script.sh?? i.e. from where it called and execute?? Many thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alzuma
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Functions of Other K Shell Program

Hi, I have a K shell a.ksh function abc { // Some logic } In b.ksh i have included the a.ksh ./a.ksh I want to call the abc function from this b.ksh script. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a program (w/ params) from within shell

Hi all, I need to call some script (s1) from within my shell script (s2). s1 accepts parameters and I want to feed it with values of params from my script. I tried many things but none work (I am so much of a beginner), please help one of my attempts : . . . param1="hehe" param2="haha" ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a c program using perl script

On bash I run precompiled c Program as follows: ./create_cust 1 10000 US S > us_cust.csv create_cust is a c program and requires 4 parameters. I am redirecting the output of this program to csv file I need to run this same program in perl I am aware of exec command though not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkbond
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling a shell script from a C program

Hi, I have a shell script which connects to a database and fetches the count of the records from a table. I want to embed this whole script in a C program. Also the count fetched should be available in the C program for further usage. Please let me know how this can be done. Thanks ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
0 Replies

7. Programming

Calling a shell script from a C program

Hi, I have a shell script which connects to a database and fetches the count of the records from a table. I want to embed this whole script in a C program. Also the count fetched should be available in the C program for further usage. Please let me know how this can be done. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
9 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

9. Programming

Program crashes on calling __libc_msgrcv()

Hi, I am a newbie to linux programming. I have implemented msgqueue in C. msgrcv() call at the client end is as below: msgrcv( msgqid, msgptr, msgsize, msgtype, 0 ); My program works fine when msgrcv () from /lib/libc.so.6 is called. However it crashes when __libc_msgrcv() is called. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praasanna
3 Replies
STARTSRV(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTSRV(8)

NAME
startsrv - invoke ttysrv for a particular host. SYNOPSIS
startsrv host DESCRIPTION
startsrv fires up ttysrv for a given host. It will kill any already running instance for that host, then read /etc/remote- tty/opt/<host>.srv for any options to pass to ttysrv (defaulting to those that set 9600,8n1), /etc/remote-tty/prot/<host>.sock for the per- missions the socket should be set to (default 660), /etc/remote-tty/owner/<host>.sock for the owner of the socket (default rttymgr:dialout) and /etc/remote-tty/prot/<host>.log for the permissions of the logfile (default 640). The device node used is /etc/remote-tty/dev/<host>. This will normally be a symlink to the correct file in /dev. ttysrv is configured to log to /var/log/remote-tty/<host>/<host>, with a pidfile at /var/run/remote-tty/pid/<host> and the socket at /var/run/remote-tty/sock/<host>. SEE ALSO
remote-tty(1), ttysrv(8). AUTHOR
rtty was written by Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org>. This manual page was written by Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). May 23, 2006 STARTSRV(8)