Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace based on other file Post 302289768 by kunimi on Friday 20th of February 2009 11:42:34 AM
Old 02-20-2009
Find and replace based on other file

Hi All,

I need an enlightenment.
I have a file that some field need to be replaced.
sample : fileA.txt

abc,4#cik#221,text
abc,4#kus#343,text

what I need to replace is the "cik" and "kus" field to their fix value.
I have another file : fileB.txt that has value of "cik and "kus",
such as
cik,001
kus,002

so the result will be like this :

abc,4#001#221,text
abc,4#002#343,text

I can do manually it with awk
awk '/cik/{gsub(/cik/, "001)};{print}'

but, it's trouble some because of the large data.
do anyone have an idea so I can do it in 1 script ?
Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace words in file based on another file

Hello, Can someone kindy help me solve this problem..I am using SunOS shell script I got a file A with following content: This is my correct document. I wrote 111 This is my incorrect word , 222 This is my wrong statement 333 This is my correct document 444 This is my correct document 555... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character based on reference file problem asking

I got two files right now, input file (target file), reference file 1 (query file) reference file 1 (long list of data) KOLOPWMOPOPO ADASDASD ADSASDASDAD . . target file (one long liner content) ADASDASDTYUKOKOLOPWMOPOPOOPLUAADSASDASDADPOPOUYADADASDASD desired output file content ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick87
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace based on values in an file

I have a file in which I want to do multiple find and replace of strings. For a single replace I can implement: sed -i 's/old/new/' <input_file> I have a second file that contains the old and the new values like the arbitrary example below: old new xyz pqr ab 756 rst pqr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace column one content based on reference file

Input file 1 testing 10 20 1 A testing 20 40 1 3 testing 23 232 2 1 testing 10 243 2 . . Reference file 1 final 3 used . . Output file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replace column one content based on reference file

Input file 1 testing 10 20 1 A testing 20 40 1 3 testing 23 232 2 1 testing 10 243 2 . . Reference file 1 final 3 used . . Output file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace based on a list

Hello, I have two files 'Master' and 'Rename'. Rename has two columns, the first containing old names and the second new names. I want to replace the old names in the 'Master' file with the new names. I ran the following and it does not seem to work. What needs to be done differently? Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string based on entries on another file

I have a file1 with different with multiple fields and records File2 has 2 fields. I want to find and replace strings in file1 based on file2 values (I Want an exact match i.e. for example: when searching for DT:3, Substr of DT:34 should not be matched) File2: DT:3 foo_err DT:34 bar_frr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Linux command for find/replace column based on specific criteria.

I'm new to shell programming, I have a huge text file in the following format, where columns are separated by single space: ACA MEX 4O_ $98.00 $127.40 $166.60 0:00 0:00 0 ; ACA YUL TS_ $300.00 $390.00 $510.00 0:00 0:00 0 ; ACA YYZ TS_ $300.00 $390.00 $510.00 0:00 0:00 0 ; ADZ YUL TS_ $300.00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: transat
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable value in first file based on records in second

Hello , I have below files a) File A <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <root xmlns="http://aaa/1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" version="2.0"> <project name="source"> <mapping name="m_Source"> <parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word based upon the file content

I have a file which contains timestamp and date in the second column. If the line contains one of the word then it need to be replace like below. Any help is appreciated. File: a smallint b timestamp c date d varchar O/P: a smallint ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JoshvaPeter
1 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)