Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers move all 2008 year's file to destination directory Post 302289752 by kedar.mehta on Friday 20th of February 2009 10:53:35 AM
Old 02-20-2009
moving multiple files

Well, this seems to be working... Thanks buddy.

However, I am still not clear about how to use {} with Xargs. Can't I do the same thing without {} ?

& what difference "-n1 -i mv {}" will make ? -i : I dont need interactive. -Does -n1 mean one argument at a time?

Is it really necessary to pass only one param, with interactive movement?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calculate directory size by year of file

I need to calcualte the size of a directory by the year the files in that directory were created . For example the script will sum up, by year, the number of blocks for that directory and its' subdirectories for files created / accessed in that year. I need a report that would look like... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move file by year/mouth

Hello experts, I have a directory which the files inside have different date. Now I'd like to move them to folder year/mouth (2007/01 , 2007/02) Have any suggestion? thanks in advance for reading or anyposts. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmm951
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Move files of a certain year to other directory

Hi all, I have a massive amount of recording files in .WAV format stored in a directory, files dating back to 2006. It is a huge amount of files as Linux cannot even do a listing of it all, it states: "argument list too long" What I would like to do is the following: Find all the files of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from source to destination directory based on the filename

Move all files starting with a specific name to different directory. This shell script program should have three parameters File Name Source Directory Destination Directory User should be able to enter ‘AB_CD*' in file name parameter. In this case all the files starting with AB_CD will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find + move if destination path does not exist

hi frnds, please help ... what will happen with below command if destination path does not exist on the system.... find /var/adm/cft* -mtime +1 -exec mv {} /global/ \ in unix its remove all my files from the system from soruce file ... how is it possbile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the one file and move destination using scripts in AIX?

I have a script which has two output formats in which i'am getting the two different output format in str1 and str2.So i want to get the output if the format is like str1 then i have to copy that into a directory or str2 format means it should be moved.This script i'am executing in shell script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivgandhi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the one file and move destination using scripts in AIX?

I have run the one scripts the scripts is provide the two different format of output.How to getting the output. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivgandhi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a TAR File in a Custom Destination Directory?

I want to create the tarzip file into a destination directory, i am in /var/sftp/home/archive/rquadri directory and i am using below command. However it is creating the file in the /var/sftp/home/archive/rquadri directory itself instead of /tmp, may i please know how do i resolve this. tar -cvzf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)					       AFS Command Reference					     BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)

NAME
backup_interactive - Enters interactive mode SYNOPSIS
backup [interactive] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup [i] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup interactive initiates an interactive session for issuing backup commands. As indicated in the syntax statement, the operation code (interactive) is optional. Several features of interactive mode distinguish it from regular mode: o In interactive mode, the "backup"> prompt replaces the system (shell) prompt. The operator enters only a command's operation code (omitting the command suite name, backup). o If the -localauth flag or the -cell argument is included on the backup interactive command, the settings apply to all commands issued during that interactive session. The issuer does not need to type them on every command. Another consequence is that the flag and argument do not appear in the syntax statement generated by the help subcommand or -help flag on an individual command issued at the "backup"> prompt. o The backup jobs and backup kill commands are available only in interactive mode. It is not possible to track and terminate backup operations as cleanly in non-interactive mode. o It is not necessary to enclose strings that include metacharacters in double quotes or other delimiters. o The backup command interpreter establishes a connection to the Backup Server, Volume Server and Volume Location (VL) Server processes as it enters interactive mode, and uses the same connection for all commands during the session. Execution time can therefore be faster than in non-interactive mode, in which the command interpreter must establish a new connection for each command. To exit an interactive session, issue the backup quit command. OPTIONS
-localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how the -localauth flag and -cell argument do not appear when the help dump subcommand is issued in interactive mode. % backup backup> help dump dump: start dump Usage: dump [-volumeset <volume set name>] [-dump <dump level name>] [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-at <Date/time to start dump>+] [-append ] [-n ] [-file <load file>] [-help ] PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None. However, backup commands that require privilege in regular mode still require it in interactive mode. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_jobs(8), backup_kill(8), backup_quit(8), butc(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_INTERACTIVE(8)