Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash problem when comparing integers Post 302289742 by vgersh99 on Friday 20th of February 2009 10:33:40 AM
Old 02-20-2009
hm.....
set the 'set -x' option and see what's being executed.
Also make sure there're no 'escape' characters in your script:
Code:
cat -vet myScriptFile.sh

Also, how exactly do you call/execute your script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash comparing date

Cound anyone help me on how to compare date in Unix using if function on bash file? current=date if ###syntax is wrong, could anyone correct it for me then rm -rf /usr/local/src fi Thank You... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stanford Co
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two arrays or strings in bash

Hi there, im having issue with comparing two variables, in a bash script. im trying to do the following: - get a word from user 1 - split the word into array - get a character from user2 trying to compare the character entered by user 2 with every single character in the array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with comparing 2 lines in 2 different file in shell bash

Hi guys i need help with comparing lines in 2 separate files. Both files contain the same amount of lines and i need to output the difference into the 2nd file. The 1st file is always correct. 1st file (Expected.e): Tuesday, 11 August 2009 Wednesday, 12 August 2009 Thursday, 13 August 2009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcrap
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing lists of integers in 1d files with bash shell

Hi, I need a script that will: 1. Go through about 20 different folders, each containing about 20 1d files. The 1d files go something like this: 22.253 37.707 78.117 112.374 127.944 156.067 180.956 233.785 249.256 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ac130pilot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing sizes in percentages of 2 files in bash

Hi guys, I hope you can enlight me with a script I'm doing for Solaris 10. Script goes like this: #!/usr/bin/bash fechahoy=`perl /export/home/info/John/fechamod.pl` fechayer=`perl /export/home/info/John/fecha.pl` echo $fechahoy echo $fechayer DAT1=`ssh ivt@blahblah ls -la... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sr00t
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing time is bash

Hi, I have a question on comparing time using bash. Tried searching a lot up but couldn't figure it out. So I have this: CURRENT_TIME=$(date +%H:%M) if then echo "Continue" else echo "Quit" fi I tried a lot of different combinations of comparing, but nothing seems to work. Any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r4v3n
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Comparing 2 xml strings masking certain fields

Would like to compare 2 XML Strings which has certain known fields changed. For example, Date field will always have differences. When comparing both strings, skip/mask all the occurring Date Field's `DtField1` and `DtField2` Note: these are not formatted xml format. File1: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sajjadmehdi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)