Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to run UNIX commands for practice in Windows 2000 OS? Post 302289693 by bishnu.bhatta on Friday 20th of February 2009 08:53:04 AM
Old 02-20-2009
No need to install unix on your system.Get a live CD.Run it directly from CD

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix to Windows 2000 printing over the internet

I need help printing to the Windows 2000 Pro environement from a Unix box, that the Windows 2000 system dials into via a ISP. We are still waiting for our T1 line to be installed but will need to know if that process will change when that is installed. I know that you can print from Windows 2000... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supportit
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix with Windows 2000

Hey! I have just acquired a Unisys SMP6400 server. It has Unix already installed. It has 2 disk drives: 1 is 2 gig with Unix setup on it. The 2nd drive is 8 gig with apps. Both drives are under Mylex DAC960 raid control. Here is my question, can I install Windows 2000 Pro on this machine either... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastermold
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix versus Windows 2000

Does anyone know where I might find info on Unix versus Windows 2000 with information pertaining to support, networks, hardware, software? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bnite
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a Unix Server to a Windows 2000 Network

Hi everyone Firstly I apologise for my total lack of knowledge about UNIX. Its unfortunately something I have never had any exposure to (Until Now). I administer a smallish Windows 2000 network with all the usual bits and pieces that involves, and have been given the task of joining a Unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maestro
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP from UNIX (AIX) to Windows 2000 server

Hi all, I have to sftp a file (put) from AIX server to Windows 2000 server. The question is Windows 200 server that i am using doesnt have any SFTP server , if so i know we need to install one. The question here is for writing a sftp script that as to run everyday as part of cron job we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddymails
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to practice unix commands on windows 7 machine

Hello, I am pretty new to UNIX and would like to know how i can run unix commands on a windows 7 machine. Basically, I want to practice running commands, created bash/awk/etc. scripts. I've read some things about cygwin, but it doesn't sound like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester213
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run UNIX commands on remote machine from windows?

Hi All, I am working in support and we are planning to automate a system to reduce the direct manual intervention to core system. Please find the below details. 1. we have a web application that runs on Windows Platform. 2. From web application, we need to connect to remote Unix machine.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji K
6 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)