Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Diff script for 2 files.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Diff script for 2 files. Post 302289670 by bishnu.bhatta on Friday 20th of February 2009 07:46:30 AM
Old 02-20-2009
Diff script for 2 files.

Hi all,

I am stuck up in middle of a process.
I have 2 files A and B.
Some lines in A are commented with either // or /* */

But basically content (uncommented portion) of both the files are same.

Now I want to prove that both the files are same using some script.

I can't do a diff as it will give me commented lines as difference.
I thought of an algo for this:

1.Format both the files to remove leading and trailing blank spaces,append some char(~~~) to mark \n.
Do the following(Step 2-4) for both the files
2.Create only valid fields file by removing /**/ and //
2.1.Put all characters in array
2.2.Read a char and check if it is / If YES go to 2.3 else go to step 3
2.3.If YES, then check the next char to be / or *
2.4.If next char is * then Create a REJECT array and store the chars till */ is encountered
2.5.If next char is / then Create a REJECT array and store the chars till \n in encountered
3.Put all valid fields in VALID array
4.Reconstruct the file with elements from VALID array(thats why I had used the indicator "~~~")
5.Do diff for both files now

Till step 2.1 I am done.but I am now confused Smilie with step 2.3

Any other alternative ideas welcomed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 coloum of 2 diff files using perl script

Hi, i am new to perl scripting.. i am still learing it.. i am asked to write a perl script which should compare 2 coloums of 2 different files. if those 2 coloumn are same the script should store the both the lines in 2 diff files. these are files, file 1: 21767016 226112 char 19136520... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuki
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Script: If diff between files is nothing then set a variable

how about a script that compares 2 files using diff (or similar) and if they are then same then set a variable, v1=int else v1=0. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff script to copy files to other dir when not exists

I have two directories that are mostly the same: dir1 dir2 Is there an easy way to take the output of diff and copy files from dir1 that do not exist in dir2 - but copy them to the same path (many nested directories). am only trying to copy files in dir1 that do not exist in dir2. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvsrvcs
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for Diff b/w 2 CSV files

Hello friends, I have two CSV files.. I am looking to create a script which automatically 'diff' between those 2 csv files each month..Can anyone help me in creating the automatic script which will find the differences between 2 csv files. Appreciated your help. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to compare ,diff and remove betwen 2 files

Hi Friends Need your expertise. Command to check the difference and compare 2 files and remove lines . example File1 is master copy and File2 is a slave copy . whenever i change, add or delete a record in File1 it should update the same in slave copy . Can you guide me how can i accomplish... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
MySQL::Diff(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  MySQL::Diff(3pm)

NAME
MySQL::Diff - Generates a database upgrade instruction set SYNOPSIS
use MySQL::Diff; my $md = MySQL::Diff->new( %options ); my $db1 = $md->register_db($ARGV[0], 1); my $db2 = $md->register_db($ARGV[1], 2); my $diffs = $md->diff(); DESCRIPTION
Generates the SQL instructions required to upgrade the first database to match the second. METHODS
Constructor new( %options ) Instantiate the objects, providing the command line options for database access and process requirements. Public Methods Fuller documentation will appear here in time :) o register_db($name,$inx) Reference the database, and setup a connection. The name can be an already existing 'MySQL::Diff::Database' database object. The index can be '1' or '2', and refers both to the order of the diff, and to the host, port, username and password arguments that have been supplied. o db1() o db2() Return the first and second databases registered via "register_db()". o diff() Performs the diff, returning a string containing the commands needed to change the schema of the first database into that of the second. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2000-2011 Adam Spiers. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
mysqldiff, MySQL::Diff::Database, MySQL::Diff::Table, MySQL::Diff::Utils AUTHOR
Adam Spiers <mysqldiff@adamspiers.org> perl v5.14.2 2012-04-06 MySQL::Diff(3pm)