Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming using c++ and c standard I/O functions Post 302289481 by JamesGoh on Thursday 19th of February 2009 06:24:15 PM
Old 02-19-2009
using c++ and c standard I/O functions

Is it not a healthy practice to mix C and C++ standard I/O functions together

e.g.
Code:

string name; // this is a declared instance of the string class in C++

printf("\nPlease enter your name: ");
cin >> name;

I did something similar in a program Im designing, and used it several times across my code. The first instance worked, however the second time I called it, the program crashed on me.

Is it generally a good idea to do this ? If not, why ?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of functions

Hi my shell is tcsh can I have functions in my shell scripting? Is the below shell script correct. Can I have two functions and call one of them as required. ---------- echo "functions" f1 f1 () { echo "hello" } f2 () (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To know the standard

Dear all, I have a need to find the standard of my system such as POSIX. How can I know that. Is there any way to find it. I am using GNU/Linux. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
2 Replies

3. Programming

Standard UNIX functions

Hi everybody, first of all i apologize if my thread's title doesn't make much sense,but i coudn't find a more appropriate name :) Then i apologize about my question,which probably will sound trivial for you :) :) I am working on a program which is being tested in Linux but the final target is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with functions

Hi, I am exploring with defining functions in my BASH shell scripts. However, I am bit confused about how to pass parameters to my functions. I was under the impression that you must do something like the following: Define a function called "sample_function": function sample_function {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard out and standard error

I need to run a cronjob and in the cronjob I execute a script that if there is an error produces standard error so I do /RUNMYSCRIPT 2> mylogfile.log However, if it runs correctly, I don't get a standard error output, I get a standard out output. How do I redirect both standard error and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

== vs -eq and functions

Hey I have a question.... what is the difference between using == vs -eq when testing in WHILE loops. I use the following test that only worked with == signs.... if why do i need == and not -eq? 2. I need to re-use some code in a couple places in this script. is functions my best... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieldcc
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

10. Programming

Newline in ANSI-C standard functions

Can someone outline the "best practice" (if any!) to handle newline in ANSI-C standard library functions? I had some confusion with these functions recently related to char array and char pointer. puts(), printf(), strcpy(), strncpy(), memset(). I seem to understand their basic use, but got... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)