Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append and Prepend Text to a file list Post 302289439 by danmero on Thursday 19th of February 2009 02:53:46 PM
Old 02-19-2009
Should work Smilie
Code:
ls | sed 's/^/[[/;s/$/]]/'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append text into a file.

I have a command stream that will parse down an ftp DIR listing of a remote directory and return the name of the newest file that I am interested in. The command is sed -e '/^d/d' sppay.listing |sed -n -e '/SPPAY/p'|sort -r -k 43M,45 -k 47,48 -k 50,54|sed -n -e '1p'|cut -c 56-99 and what it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beilstwh
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append a text to a file every month

i have something like below in my SAS code and every month i need to append a text say 'ext.hlc_sum0906' near ext.hlc_sum0905 and next month after ext.hlc_sum0906 i need to append this 'ext.hlc_sum0907' and so on like that.. is it possible using SED or some other command in unix? %let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: depakjan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

prepend and append characters to the same line

Hi, I have a file 'tmp.dat' that contains the below data: 81763 40829 30405 80452 I want to prepend a ' character to the beginning of every line, and I want to append ', at the end of every line. Below is what I expect: '81763', '40829', '30405', '80452', Can anyone help me? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to append text from one file into another

Hello all. I was wondering if it possible to write a bash script that would do the following: I perform molecular modelling calculations and the output files are all text files with various different extensions. For example, I submit the input file "job_name.inp" and when it is done or the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk text record - prepend first field to all subsequent fields

Hello everyone, I've suddenly gotten very interested in sed and awk (and enjoying it quite a bit too) because of a large conversion project that we're working on. I'm currently stuck with a very inefficient process for processing text blocks. I'm sure someone here should be able to easily point out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameswatson3
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed prepend text ?

Hi, I have a file with email header information. I would like to change the Subject line. Subject: ** PROBLEM Host Alert: server.domainname is DOWN ** I'd like to change this line such as to look, Subject: serverID ACK Fw: ** PROBLEM Host Alert: server1.domainname is DOWN** How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a text file?

i have to append a text file grep for a word, if found, put comment in starting of the line. here is an example cat test.sh bin/ksh Hello World Test Message :wq! search for "bin" word in test.sh file if found comment it out at starting of the line: Output as follows: #bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend text, different matched 1st letters

Prepending lines with: your, the, a or an based on 1st letter match. You'll see my problem below: sed '/^p\|^f\|^c\|^d\|^l/ s/^/your /' list.txt > your.txt && sed '/^v\|^j\|^k\|^m\|^n\|^s/ s/^/the /' your.txt > the.txt && sed '/^b\|^g\|^h\|^q\|^r\|^t\|^w\|^z/ s/^/a /' the.txt > a.txt && sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnu tool; sed awk echo etc to prepend or append string to a file

Looking to add text to a file, example File example; nodegroups: check-hosts: L@host.domain.com,host2.domain.com,host3.domain.com I need to take a file with a one line list of hosts separated by commas host.domain.com,host2.domain.com,host3.domain.comand prepend the string " ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)