Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem with external program launch Post 302289370 by Zipi on Thursday 19th of February 2009 12:17:46 PM
Old 02-19-2009
An update: i found out about the "chrt" shell command. It actually did the job:i assigned to recordmydesktop a much lower priority,and now it doesn't hang the system anymore.

But....
1)Is this way to proceed correct? I ask cause changing scheduling policies and priorities does sound "dangerous" if i don't know exactly what's happening

2)Starting recordmydesktop with the fork-exec mechanism makes me feel like i have kinda lost control of it.... I mean,how can i know when this "child" process ends its execution? I could save,for example,the pid of it and later check if a process with that pid is active...but to me it doesnt sound like a good way to control it....

Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to launch program though telnet

I have launched telnet on nt and have connected to a unix server, I'm trying to run a program on the unix server which will launch a gui, but when I try to launch it I get the message "display not set\n" "By default set it to 0.0" I can sit down at the unix machine and launch the program with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbachman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value to an external program problem...

This code is in my 'case' statement and it all else works fine. The problem I have is that the value in 'procno' is not passed on to the external program (fireit). It is passing all zeros instead of the actual process number. By the time I get to this case statement, I know the "Number" and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giannicello
1 Replies

3. Programming

launch an executable from a C++ program

Hi everybody! Could you please tell me how can I launch an executable from a C++ (on unix) program? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: how to launch a program with parameters

Hi, I'm a pretty big fan of BASH scripting. I've got a bunch I use for random things and lately a couple issues have been plaguing me. Both are somewhat related, in that they deal with filenames with spaces and "escaped" characters and with launching a program with command line arguements... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to launch C program

Hi there, im new too shell scripting and was wondering if it is possible to create a shell script to take in a variable and load a c program. My C program is a file monitor, and is started by using the terminal and using to following code ./monitor FileToBeMonitored is it possible to have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazmcc182
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launch a windows program from perl script

Hi i wanted to know if any one can give me an example on how to launch a windows program in a perl script. I wanted to open the nmap software on my computer with a perl script, i heard this can be done with the system function. Would the function be in this format: $text =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingbp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script timer on program launch

So I am attempting to get a short but complex perl script to be able to time out an application that I will launch from a command line. The terminal I use is MKS C SHELL and I am having trouble doing the a job spawn that will launch the application and keep time on it. I know you could do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input keyboard keys upon program launch

Hey guys, first post! I want to write a script that will wait 1 second and then input the keys CTRL+ALT+J to the application i just opened. The program is dosbox, and thay key combination starts video recording :) I have no idea how to program this, can anyone help please? thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brunobliss
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launch a text program inside a konsole at startup

Hi ULFers, I am trying to setup a (very) simple startup script on a centos 6.4 computer and it kind of failed.... Here are the details : As said just above the computer setup is running a CentOS 6.4 x64, on this computer a vncserver is automatically started (by a chkconfig vncserver on), i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pierpier
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having trouble using expect to launch vpn program

Hello all. I am a linux and linux scripting newbie so please forgive my ignorance. I have been tasked to write what I thought should be a pretty simple script that does the following: 1) Loads our forticlient ssl vpn command line client 2) sends the vpn password to the client Pretty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wblakenc
2 Replies
CHRT(1) 							   User Commands							   CHRT(1)

NAME
chrt - manipulate the real-time attributes of a process SYNOPSIS
chrt [options] priority command [argument...] chrt [options] -p [priority] pid DESCRIPTION
chrt sets or retrieves the real-time scheduling attributes of an existing pid, or runs command with the given attributes. POLICIES
-o, --other Set scheduling policy to SCHED_OTHER. This is the default Linux scheduling policy. -f, --fifo Set scheduling policy to SCHED_FIFO. -r, --rr Set scheduling policy to SCHED_RR. When no policy is defined, the SCHED_RR is used as the default. -b, --batch Set scheduling policy to SCHED_BATCH (Linux-specific, supported since 2.6.16). The priority argument has to be set to zero. -i, --idle Set scheduling policy to SCHED_IDLE (Linux-specific, supported since 2.6.23). The priority argument has to be set to zero. -d, --deadline Set scheduling policy to SCHED_DEADLINE (Linux-specific, supported since 3.14). The priority argument has to be set to zero. See also --sched-runtime, --sched-deadline and --sched-period. The relation between the options required by the kernel is runtime <= deadline <= period. chrt copies period to deadline if --sched-deadline is not specified and deadline to runtime if --sched-runtime is not specified. It means that at least --sched-period has to be specified. See sched(7) for more details. SCHEDULING OPTIONS
-T, --sched-runtime nanoseconds Specifies runtime parameter for SCHED_DEADLINE policy (Linux-specific). -P, --sched-period nanoseconds Specifies period parameter for SCHED_DEADLINE policy (Linux-specific). -D, --sched-deadline nanoseconds Specifies deadline parameter for SCHED_DEADLINE policy (Linux-specific). -R, --reset-on-fork Add SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK flag to the SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR scheduling policy (Linux-specific, supported since 2.6.31). OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the scheduling attributes of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -m, --max Show minimum and maximum valid priorities, then exit. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -v, --verbose Show status information. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command: chrt priority command [arguments] You can also retrieve the real-time attributes of an existing task: chrt -p pid Or set them: chrt -r -p priority pid PERMISSIONS
A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the scheduling attributes of a process. Any user can retrieve the scheduling information. NOTES
Only SCHED_FIFO, SCHED_OTHER and SCHED_RR are part of POSIX 1003.1b Process Scheduling. The other scheduling attributes may be ignored on some systems. Linux' default scheduling policy is SCHED_OTHER. SEE ALSO
nice(1), renice(1), taskset(1), sched(7) See sched_setscheduler(2) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHORS
Robert Love <rml@tech9.net> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The chrt command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux January 2016 CHRT(1)