Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users changing UGO to ACLs on a file Post 302289315 by davchris on Thursday 19th of February 2009 09:01:42 AM
Old 02-19-2009
changing UGO to ACLs on a file

Hello,

I have a directory and a list of files in it on which I'd like to set ACLs and quota.
To set ACLs regarding the UGO rights set at the moment, I haven't found any other way than grabbing the UGO rights set on the file with a shell cut command and then applying setfacl commands to that file
i.e :

-rwxr-xr-x toto

u=`ls -l toto | awk ' { print $1 } ' | cut -c2-4`
g=`ls -l toto | awk ' { print $1 } ' | cut -c5-7`
o=`ls -l toto | awk ' { print $1 } ' | cut -c8-10`

then ...
echo "setfacl -m u:$u,g:$g,o:$o toto" > /tmp/acllist

then
setfacl -f /tmp/acllist toto

Is there a way to transpose existing UGO rights onto ACLs directly on the file ?

Thanks a lot

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing csv file contents to file of rows

i have a file a.txt contents as 1,2,3,4,......etc...in a single line, i want to write to another file in rows as 1 2 3 4 5 can u help? i do not know the length of a.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravfraz
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file content based on file header

Hi, I have several text files each containing some data as shown below: File1.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... File2.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... etc. What I want is to change the 'DataHeader' based on the file name. So the output should look like: File1.txt >File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
1 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Squid acls

Hi guys, There is a line in squid default configuration: # Deny CONNECT to other than secure SSL ports http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports acls are applied from top down, so CONNECT acl will deny access to all non SSL and SSL ports. I mean it never reaches the second access rule. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Chmod overiding default ACLs.

Afternoon all, This should be a simple task. I have set up default acls on a directory to allow user user1 to read it. This directory is owned by root:root. setfacl -d -m u:user1:rx /directory I also did via the group. This works fine, new files made by root are readable. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoop6060
4 Replies

5. Solaris

ZFS ACLS and vim

Hi, Does anyone know a way of making vim preserve ZFS NFSv4 ACLS? Without disabling file backups in vim that is. Thanks in advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: akame
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does regular Linux installation in fact uses any ACLs in any file/dir?

Hi everybody As the title says I wonder if the usual (in my case Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) linux installation root does in fact uses any of the ACLs possible extensions in any of its files/dirs I ask this because I usually use tar to backup the entire root (in offline) with a command like this (root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: man-walking
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

ACLs - How can i create new executable files

Hello experts, I would like to know if is possible to create a default acl rule to a directory. in this directory all files created should have executable permissions by the group IT. i tried setfacl -m d:g:it:rwx /files tried to change the mask setfacl -m m::rwx /files but i still... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: berveglieri
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Is there limit on number of ACLs' per directory in Redhat

I work on a distribution application on Linux which generates bulk reference data extract feeds and stores them on a Linux server. I have several consumer applications access the files stored on this Linux server using FTPS protocol. However in order for consumer applications to have access to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
2 Replies

9. AIX

Unable to set ACLs on sulog - need to grant read permission to a normal user on AIX 6.1

Hi, I need to grant read permission to a normal user on sulog file on AIX 6.1. As root I did acledit sulog and aclget shows "extended permissions" as "enabled" and normal user "splunk" has read permissions. When I try to access sulog as splunk user it won't allow and aclget for splunk user... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies
ACL(9)							   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						    ACL(9)

NAME
acl -- virtual file system access control lists SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/vnode.h> #include <sys/acl.h> In the kernel configuration file: options UFS_ACL DESCRIPTION
Access control lists, or ACLs, allow fine-grained specification of rights for vnodes representing files and directories. However, as there are a plethora of file systems with differing ACL semantics, the vnode interface is aware only of the syntax of ACLs, relying on the underly- ing file system to implement the details. Depending on the underlying file system, each file or directory may have zero or more ACLs associ- ated with it, named using the type field of the appropriate vnode ACL calls: VOP_ACLCHECK(9), VOP_GETACL(9), and VOP_SETACL(9). Currently, each ACL is represented in-kernel by a fixed-size acl structure, defined as follows: struct acl { unsigned int acl_maxcnt; unsigned int acl_cnt; int acl_spare[4]; struct acl_entry acl_entry[ACL_MAX_ENTRIES]; }; An ACL is constructed from a fixed size array of ACL entries, each of which consists of a set of permissions, principal namespace, and prin- cipal identifier. In this implementation, the acl_maxcnt field is always set to ACL_MAX_ENTRIES. Each individual ACL entry is of the type acl_entry_t, which is a structure with the following members: acl_tag_t ae_tag The following is a list of definitions of ACL types to be set in ae_tag: ACL_UNDEFINED_FIELD Undefined ACL type. ACL_USER_OBJ Discretionary access rights for processes whose effective user ID matches the user ID of the file's owner. ACL_USER Discretionary access rights for processes whose effective user ID matches the ACL entry qualifier. ACL_GROUP_OBJ Discretionary access rights for processes whose effective group ID or any supplemental groups match the group ID of the file's owner. ACL_GROUP Discretionary access rights for processes whose effective group ID or any supplemental groups match the ACL entry qualifier. ACL_MASK The maximum discretionary access rights that can be granted to a process in the file group class. This is only valid for POSIX.1e ACLs. ACL_OTHER Discretionary access rights for processes not covered by any other ACL entry. This is only valid for POSIX.1e ACLs. ACL_OTHER_OBJ Same as ACL_OTHER. ACL_EVERYONE Discretionary access rights for all users. This is only valid for NFSv4 ACLs. Each POSIX.1e ACL must contain exactly one ACL_USER_OBJ, one ACL_GROUP_OBJ, and one ACL_OTHER. If any of ACL_USER, ACL_GROUP, or ACL_OTHER are present, then exactly one ACL_MASK entry should be present. uid_t ae_id The ID of user for whom this ACL describes access permissions. For entries other than ACL_USER and ACL_GROUP, this field should be set to ACL_UNDEFINED_ID. acl_perm_t ae_perm This field defines what kind of access the process matching this ACL has for accessing the associated file. For POSIX.1e ACLs, the fol- lowing are valid: ACL_EXECUTE The process may execute the associated file. ACL_WRITE The process may write to the associated file. ACL_READ The process may read from the associated file. ACL_PERM_NONE The process has no read, write or execute permissions to the associated file. For NFSv4 ACLs, the following are valid: ACL_READ_DATA The process may read from the associated file. ACL_LIST_DIRECTORY Same as ACL_READ_DATA. ACL_WRITE_DATA The process may write to the associated file. ACL_ADD_FILE Same as ACL_ACL_WRITE_DATA. ACL_APPEND_DATA ACL_ADD_SUBDIRECTORY Same as ACL_APPEND_DATA. ACL_READ_NAMED_ATTRS Ignored. ACL_WRITE_NAMED_ATTRS Ignored. ACL_EXECUTE The process may execute the associated file. ACL_DELETE_CHILD ACL_READ_ATTRIBUTES ACL_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES ACL_DELETE ACL_READ_ACL ACL_WRITE_ACL ACL_WRITE_OWNER ACL_SYNCHRONIZE Ignored. acl_entry_type_t ae_entry_type This field defines the type of NFSv4 ACL entry. It is not used with POSIX.1e ACLs. The following values are valid: ACL_ENTRY_TYPE_ALLOW ACL_ENTRY_TYPE_DENY acl_flag_t ae_flags This field defines the inheritance flags of NFSv4 ACL entry. It is not used with POSIX.1e ACLs. The following values are valid: ACL_ENTRY_FILE_INHERIT ACL_ENTRY_DIRECTORY_INHERIT ACL_ENTRY_NO_PROPAGATE_INHERIT ACL_ENTRY_INHERIT_ONLY SEE ALSO
acl(3), vaccess(9), vaccess_acl_nfs4(9), vaccess_acl_posix1e(9), VFS(9), VOP_ACLCHECK(9), VOP_GETACL(9), VOP_SETACL(9) AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Robert Watson. BSD
September 18, 2009 BSD