Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed and regular expressions problem Post 302288969 by ajay41aj on Wednesday 18th of February 2009 12:16:57 PM
Old 02-18-2009
did u try "s/regexp/replacement/g" ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions in sed

I'm using sed to alter a parameter file used in another process. Basically, the file is a template containing a few variables which need to be replaced at runtime. The problem is that using sed with filenames that contain the / character causes matches to fail. eg:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfreemantle
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions in sed

I'm using sed to alter a parameter file used in another process. Basically, the file is a template containing a few variables which need to be replaced at runtime. The problem is that using sed with filenames that contain the / character causes matches to fail. I've tried doing an escaped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfreemantle
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions variables in sed

I am trying to pass a regular expression variable from a simple script to sed to remove entries from a text file e.g. a='aaaa bbbb cccc ...|...:' then executing sed from the script sed s'/"'$a"'//g <$FILE > $FILE"_"1 my output file is always the same as the input file !! any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel234
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Print range, exclude regular expressions.

Ok, so I get that: sed -n '/START/,/END/p' file ...will print every line from START to END inclusive, but I don't want to see START or END. Apart from the obious: sed -n '/START/,/END/p' file | grep -v "START" | grep -v "END" ...is there a simpler way of doing this? Thanks as always! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED regular expressions

Hi, I need to replace <field name="ID">1</field> with <field name="STATION_ID">01</field> how can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noppeli
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and regular expressions

Hi, There's a bug using JavaDoc that generates an error if a tag <a...> is found in a javadoc comment, which is not a HTML reference. For example this error is produced with generics. I want to insert an space between "<" and "a". Expression is able to find where this happens using find and grep: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with sed and regular expressions

I have a file, each line has the date and time twice, once at the start of the line, and again half way along. to neaten things up, and to make it easier to read i'm removing one set. Wasn't as easy as identify the text and remove, as it'd remove both. So i added some text at the beginning of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chr15b
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or python for regular expressions ?

Linux 6.X environments (RHEL, Oracle Linux ) I could write basic shell scripts in bash. In my spare time, I was planning to learn awk or sed to deal with regular expression tasks I have to deal with. But, I gather that python is gaining popularity these days and I came to know that python has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
GRCAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GRCAT(1)

NAME
grcat - read from standard input, colourise it and write to standard output SYNOPSIS
grcat configuration DESCRIPTION
configuration is a name of a configuration file. Directories ~/.grc/, /usr/local/share/grc/, /usr/share/grc/ are searched for the file (in this order). If the file is not found, it is assumed to be an absolute path of a configuration file located elsewhere. Configuration file consists of entries, one per regexp, entries are separated with lines with first character non-alphanumeric (except #). Lines beginning with # or empty lines are ignored. Each entry consists of several lines. Each line has form: keyword=value where keyword is one of: regexp, colours, command, skip, count. Only regexp is mandatory, but it does not have much sense by itself unless you specify at least a colour or command keyword as well. regexp is the regular expression to match colours is the list of colours, separated by commas (you can specify only one colour), each colour per one regexp group specified in reg- exp. command is command to be executed when regexp matches. Its output will be mixed with normal stdout, use redirectors ( >/dev/null) if you want to supress it. skip can be either yes, or no, if yes, the matched line will be skipped and not displayed in output. Default is no. count is one of words: once, more, or stop. once means that if the regexp is matched, its first occurrence is coloured and the program will continue with other regexp's. more means that if there are multiple matches of the regexp in one line, all of them will be coloured. stop means that the regexp will be coloured and program will move to the next line (i.e. ignoring other regexp's) Regular expressions are evaluated from top to bottom, this allows nested and overlapped expressions. (e.g. you colour everything inside parentheses with one colour, and if a following expression matches the text inside parentheses, it will be also coloured) OPTIONS
None so far. SEE ALSO
grc(1) AUTHOR
Written by Radovan Garabik <garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk> GRCAT(1)