Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files Post 302288863 by runnerpaul on Wednesday 18th of February 2009 07:19:14 AM
Old 02-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by taran
find . -name MCR0000000716214

Does this not just look for a file with that name in it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse large numbers of shell scripts

I am trying to parse hundreds of shell scripts to determine how they related to each other. Ideally for every script, I would get an output of: What other scripts it calls What files it reads Environment variables it accesses Any ideas on how to do this? TIA! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bliss
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep to handle a 0 result

Hi guys, I have the following grep command in a script to search through a file for a string and return its count, and it works fine for when the string exists: grep "string" file.txt | wc However, sometimes the result will be 0 and I want the script to take this as the result. Right now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need best grep option or alternative

Hello, I am processing a text file which contains only words with few combination of characters (it is a dictionary file). example: havana have haven haven't havilland havoc Is there a way to exclude only 1 to 8 character long words which not include space or special characters : '-`~.. so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alekkz
5 Replies

5. Programming

Working with extremely large numbers in C

Hi All, I am just curious, not programming anything of my own. I know there are libraries like gmp which does all such things. But I really need to know HOW they do all such things i.e. working with extremely large unimaginable numbers which are beyond the integer limit. They can do add,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find common numbers from two very large files using awk or the like

I've got two files that each contain a 16-digit number in positions 1-16. The first file has 63,120 entries all sorted numerically. The second file has 142,479 entries, also sorted numerically. I want to read through each file and output the entries that appear in both. So far I've had no... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Long List Of Large Numbers

Hi All, I have a file with long list of numbers. This file contains only one column. These numbers are very large. I am using following command: cat myfile.txt | awk '{ sum+=$1} END {print sum}' The output is coming in scientific notation. How do I get the result in proper format? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse for 2 numbers in large single line

Hi All, I am writing a script in which I need to gather 2 numbers for 'total' and 'successful'. The goal is to compare the two numbers and if they are not equal, rerun the task until all are successful. I'm thinking the best way will be with awk or sed, but I really don't know where to begin... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
8 Replies
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep - A GNU grep-based mbox folder reader SYNOPSIS
#!/usr/bin/perl use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser; my $filename = 'mail/saved-mail'; my $filehandle = new FileHandle($filename); my $folder_reader = new Mail::Mbox::MessageParser( { 'file_name' => $filename, 'file_handle' => $filehandle, 'enable_grep' => 1, } ); die $folder_reader unless ref $folder_reader; # Any newlines or such before the start of the first email my $prologue = $folder_reader->prologue; print $prologue; # This is the main loop. It's executed once for each email while(!$folder_reader->end_of_file()); { my $email = $folder_reader->read_next_email(); print $email; } DESCRIPTION
This module implements a GNU grep-based mbox folder reader. It can only be used when GNU grep is installed on the system. Users must not instantiate this class directly--use Mail::Mbox::MessageParser instead. The base MessageParser module will automatically manage the use of grep and non-grep implementations. METHODS AND FUNCTIONS The following methods and functions are specific to the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep package. For additional inherited ones, see the Mail::Mbox::MessageParser documentation. $ref = new( { 'file_name' => <mailbox file name>, 'file_handle' => <mailbox file handle> }); <file_name> - The full filename of the mailbox <file_handle> - An opened file handle for the mailbox The constructor for the class takes two parameters. The file_name parameter is the filename of the mailbox. The file_handle argument is the opened file handle to the mailbox. Returns a reference to a Mail::Mbox::MessageParser object, or a string describing the error. BUGS
No known bugs. Contact david@coppit.org for bug reports and suggestions. AUTHOR
David Coppit <david@coppit.org>. LICENSE
This software is distributed under the terms of the GPL. See the file "LICENSE" for more information. HISTORY
This code was originally part of the grepmail distribution. See http://grepmail.sf.net/ for previous versions of grepmail which included early versions of this code. SEE ALSO
Mail::Mbox::MessageParser perl v5.10.1 2009-08-09 Mail::Mbox::MessageParser::Grep(3pm)