Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding space to a filesystem
Operating Systems AIX Adding space to a filesystem Post 302288673 by dkranes on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 04:24:22 PM
Old 02-17-2009
I did shrink a few other file systems and then I was able to add enough space. Thank you for you help.

David

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add space to filesystem in solaris

I need step-by-step on how to add more space to /apps in solaris. Currently df -hk: /dev/md/dsk/d40 15G 13G 1.6G 90% /app How much can I expand and how? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simt
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Increasing filesystem space

Now, i know a ufs file system can be increased using mkfs but hwo do I take space from a file system and add it to another file system? at my job here, that seems to be possible because I see request on it almost every day. what is the exact command to do this and does the system need to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

3. Solaris

free space, associated by filesystem name...

is there a command that will display amount of free space...associated by filesystem name? # df /home /home (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s3 ): 8069326 blocks 487280 files HP has bdf: bdf /home Filesystem kbytes used ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

calculating the filesystem space

Hi, Just wanted to confirm that what Im doing is correct to calculate the space allocated to filesystem: >df -k . Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /test 48720000 9337904 81% 14846 1% /home The space allocated = 48720000/1024 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adding a filesystem.

Hi All! I need to create a new filesystem /u01 , using the existing space and giving 100GB space to /u01. I can allocate 100Gb from / which is currently 145GB. Following is the screen shot of my df command. # df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Adding space to a filesystem

Hello, I am trying to add space to my existing system and I need a little assistance determining if I have any disk space available to allocate. Here is what I have: DISKS: Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dkranes
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Adding a filesystem to a running local zone

Is there a way to mount a filesystem from the global zone to the local zone without rebooting the local zone? I'm using a lofs filesystem.. any help is appreciated! thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filesystem not using all available space in Logical Volume

I am running HP-UX 11.31 ia64. The /usr filesystem shows 7 GB as the size, but the logical volume that is mounted there shows 13 GB. Is there a way to get the entire 13 GB to show up and why did this happen in the first place? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trojan28
11 Replies
RESIZE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RESIZE2FS(8)

NAME
resize2fs - ext2/ext3/ext4 file system resizer SYNOPSIS
resize2fs [ -fFpPM ] [ -d debug-flags ] [ -S RAID-stride ] device [ size ] DESCRIPTION
The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.). The size parameter specifies the requested new size of the filesystem. If no units are specified, the units of the size parameter shall be the filesystem blocksize of the filesystem. Optionally, the size parameter may be suffixed by one of the following the units designators: 's', 'K', 'M', or 'G', for 512 byte sectors, kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, respectively. The size of the filesystem may never be larger than the size of the partition. If size parameter is not specified, it will default to the size of the partition. The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of partitions. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you can expand the size of the underlying partition first. This can be done using fdisk(8) by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size or using lvextend(8), if you're using the logical volume manager lvm(8). When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem. After running fdisk(8), run resize2fs to resize the ext2 filesystem to use all of the space in the newly enlarged partition. If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink the size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size of the partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do not make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem! OPTIONS
-d debug-flags Turns on various resize2fs debugging features, if they have been compiled into the binary. debug-flags should be computed by adding the numbers of the desired features from the following list: 2 - Debug block relocations 4 - Debug inode relocations 8 - Debug moving the inode table -f Forces resize2fs to proceed with the filesystem resize operation, overriding some safety checks which resize2fs normally enforces. -F Flush the filesystem device's buffer caches before beginning. Only really useful for doing resize2fs time trials. -M Shrink the filesystem to the minimum size. -p Prints out a percentage completion bars for each resize2fs operation, so that the user can keep track of what the program is doing. -P Print the minimum size of the filesystem and exit. -S RAID-stride The resize2fs program will heuristically determine the RAID stride that was specified when the filesystem was created. This option allows the user to explicitly specify a RAID stride setting to be used by resize2fs instead. KNOWN BUGS
The minimum size of the filesystem as estimated by resize2fs may be incorrect, especially for filesystems with 1k and 2k blocksizes. AUTHOR
resize2fs was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. COPYRIGHT
Resize2fs is Copyright 1998 by Theodore Ts'o and PowerQuest, Inc. All rights reserved. As of April, 2000 Resize2fs may be redistributed under the terms of the GPL. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), lvm(8), lvextend(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.11 March 2010 RESIZE2FS(8)