Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ways to open a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ways to open a file Post 302288395 by venkatesht on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 05:54:52 AM
Old 02-17-2009
thanks pludi, ynilesh

pludi --->

if i execute dd if=xx, it displays the output and in the last, it displays the following message

0+1 records in
0+1 records out

Can any one throw some light on this?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways to get OS version

I am trying to figure out the OS version of my Linux box. I got three commands: # uname -a Linux test01 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insvf
4 Replies

7. Programming

Sum a number in different ways.

Hello, I need some help to correct my algorithm steps to sum a number. I am confused... please input some steps Example: Let's say a number 5. Now we can get a list of numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4 (less than 5 in sorted order). so the sum could be: 1+4; 2+3 ( 1+1+1+1+1 or 1+2+2 is not a solution). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different ways to check a file

to get the checksum of a file on unix systems, you can just use the "cksum" command. i discovered there are some watered down versions of unix systems i have to do some work on. surprisingly, these systems have perl installed on them and awk. so if the cksum command is not available on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
GNOME(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GNOME(1)

NAME
GNOME MIME configuration files The GNOME system uses MIME types to classify content. Each MIME type on the GNOME system has a number of attributes attached to it. Some of these attributes have a special meaning to the GNOME system. MIME type of files There are two ways of classifying a file in the GNOME system: by matching their extension or a regular expression with their name or by its content. GNOME applications use one of those two methods depending on speed contraints and the specific setup. The MIME types available on the system can be configured at runtime by putting special files in either the GNOME MIME directory (/usr/share/mime-info) or the user ~/.gnome/mime-info directory. MIME type definition files. The routines that classify a file by its name, use the contents of all of the files with the extension .mime from the /usr/share/mime-info directory and the ~/.gnome/mime-info to build the database for filename matching. The latter is supported to enable users to provide their mime types to extend the system defaults. Application that wish to install their own MIME types only need to install a file in this directory. The file /usr/share/mime-info/gnome.mime is special, as it contains the defaults for gnome, and is read first. In addition, the file ~/.gnome/mime-info/user.mime is read last. This will guarantee that there is a way to set system defaults, and there is a way for the user to override them. There is currently no way to tell anything about the order of the other files in those directories, nor is there anyway to override system defaults yet. The format is the following: mime-type-name ext[,priority]: ext1 ext2 ext3 ext[,priority]: ext4 regex[,priority]: regex1 regex[,priority]: regex2 where "mime-type-name" is a valid MIME type. For example "text/plain". For example, for a vCalendar application, this file would be installed: ------ calendar.mime ------- application/v-calendar: ext: vcf ----------------------------- MIME key information To add keys to a MIME type, it is necessary to install a file with the extension .keys in the /usr/share/mime-info directory or in the ~/.gnome/mime-info directory. The former is for system-provided mime-information and the latter is to enable the user to extend the actions as provided by the system. The file /usr/share/mime-info/gnome.keys is special, as it contains the defaults for gnome, and is read first. In addition, the file ~/.gnome/mime-info/user.keys is read last. This will guarantee that there is a way to set system defaults, and there is a way for the user to override them. There is currently no way to tell anything about the order of the other files in those directories, nor is there anyway to override system defaults yet. The .keys files have the following format: mime-type-match: []key=value Above, the key is the key that is being defined and value is the value we bind to it. The optional [LANG] represents a language in which this definition is valid. If this part is specified, then the definition will only be valid if LANG matches the setting of the environment variable LANG. The LANG setting is used to provide keys which can be displayed to the user in a localized way. This is an example to bind the key open to all of the mime-types matching image/* and the icon-filename key is bound to the /opt/gimp/share/xcf.png value: image/*: open=gimp %f image/x-xcf: icon-filename=/opt/gimp/share/xcf.png This will make the GIMP the handler for the open action. Files of type xcf would use the filename pointed in the icon-filename key. %f gets interpolated with the file name or the list of file names that matched this mime-type. As you can see from the example above, a .keys file does not need to provide all of the values, it can just provide or override some of the actions. User defined bindings in .keys file will take precedence over system installed files. Special key used by the GNOME system The following keys are currently used in the GNOME desktop: open Open the file with this command. icon-filename The filename with the icon that should be used to represent files of this type. view Command to view the file contents. ascii-view A command that should be used to do an ascii-rendering of the file. Used as a fallback by the filemanager if a view action does not exist. fm-open file-manager open. If present, the file manager will use this action instead of the value in open to perform this action (the file- manager for example will open archive files as if they were directories by using the VFS). fm-view file-manager view. If present, invoking the view opertion on the file manager will use the value defined here instead of the value in "view". fm-ascii-view Fallback operation for the file manager as well. Those keys are also queried on the metadata (except in the cases where the lookup would be too expensive). AUTHOR
This manual page has been written by Miguel de Icaza (miguel@gnu.org) GNOME 1.0 GNOME(1)