Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ways to open a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ways to open a file Post 302288369 by pludi on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 04:55:17 AM
Old 02-17-2009
I think there are more than 7 ways to view a file. And 'less' isn't (as far as I know) a standard UNIX tool (HP-UX at least is missing it by default) but GNU software.
But you can add this to your list: dd if=xx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways to get OS version

I am trying to figure out the OS version of my Linux box. I got three commands: # uname -a Linux test01 2.6.18-238.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jan 13 15:51:15 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 # cat /proc/version Linux version 2.6.18-238.el5 (mockbuild@builder10.centos.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: insvf
4 Replies

7. Programming

Sum a number in different ways.

Hello, I need some help to correct my algorithm steps to sum a number. I am confused... please input some steps Example: Let's say a number 5. Now we can get a list of numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4 (less than 5 in sorted order). so the sum could be: 1+4; 2+3 ( 1+1+1+1+1 or 1+2+2 is not a solution). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different ways to check a file

to get the checksum of a file on unix systems, you can just use the "cksum" command. i discovered there are some watered down versions of unix systems i have to do some work on. surprisingly, these systems have perl installed on them and awk. so if the cksum command is not available on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
PT-SIFT(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       PT-SIFT(1p)

NAME
pt-sift - Browses files created by pt-collect. SYNOPSIS
Usage: pt-sift FILE|PREFIX|DIRECTORY pt-sift browses the files created by pt-collect. If you specify a FILE or PREFIX, it browses only files with that prefix. If you specify a DIRECTORY, then it browses all files within that directory. RISKS
The following section is included to inform users about the potential risks, whether known or unknown, of using this tool. The two main categories of risks are those created by the nature of the tool (e.g. read-only tools vs. read-write tools) and those created by bugs. pt-sift is a read-only tool. It should be very low-risk. At the time of this release, we know of no bugs that could cause serious harm to users. The authoritative source for updated information is always the online issue tracking system. Issues that affect this tool will be marked as such. You can see a list of such issues at the following URL: http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-sift <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt- sift>. See also "BUGS" for more information on filing bugs and getting help. DESCRIPTION
pt-sift downloads other tools that it might need, such as pt-diskstats, and then makes a list of the unique timestamp prefixes of all the files in the directory, as written by the pt-collect tool. If the user specified a timestamp on the command line, then it begins with that sample of data; otherwise it begins by showing a list of the timestamps and prompting for a selection. Thereafter, it displays a summary of the selected sample, and the user can navigate and inspect with keystrokes. The keystroke commands you can use are as follows: d Sets the action to start the pt-diskstats tool on the sample's disk performance statistics. i Sets the action to view the first INNODB STATUS sample in less. m Displays the first 4 samples of SHOW STATUS counters side by side with the pt-mext tool. n Summarizes the first sample of netstat data in two ways: by originating host, and by connection state. j Select the next timestamp as the active sample. k Select the previous timestamp as the active sample. q Quit the program. 1 Sets the action for each sample to the default, which is to view a summary of the sample. 0 Sets the action to just list the files in the sample. * Sets the action to view all of the sample's files in the less program. OPTIONS
This tool does not have any command-line options. ENVIRONMENT
This tool does not use any environment variables. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
This tool requires Bash v3 and the following programs: pt-diskstats, pt-pmp, pt-mext, and pt-align. If these programs are not in your PATH, they will be fetched from the Internet if curl is available. BUGS
For a list of known bugs, see http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-sift <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-sift>. Please report bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit <https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit>. Include the following information in your bug report: o Complete command-line used to run the tool o Tool "--version" o MySQL version of all servers involved o Output from the tool including STDERR o Input files (log/dump/config files, etc.) If possible, include debugging output by running the tool with "PTDEBUG"; see "ENVIRONMENT". DOWNLOADING
Visit http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/ <http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/> to download the latest release of Percona Toolkit. Or, get the latest release from the command line: wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.tar.gz wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.rpm wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.deb You can also get individual tools from the latest release: wget percona.com/get/TOOL Replace "TOOL" with the name of any tool. AUTHORS
Baron Schwartz ABOUT PERCONA TOOLKIT
This tool is part of Percona Toolkit, a collection of advanced command-line tools developed by Percona for MySQL support and consulting. Percona Toolkit was forked from two projects in June, 2011: Maatkit and Aspersa. Those projects were created by Baron Schwartz and developed primarily by him and Daniel Nichter, both of whom are employed by Percona. Visit <http://www.percona.com/software/> for more software developed by Percona. COPYRIGHT, LICENSE, AND WARRANTY This program is copyright 2010-2011 Baron Schwartz, 2011-2012 Percona Inc. Feedback and improvements are welcome. THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, version 2; OR the Perl Artistic License. On UNIX and similar systems, you can issue `man perlgpl' or `man perlartistic' to read these licenses. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. VERSION
pt-sift 2.1.2 perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 PT-SIFT(1p)