Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: touch and permission
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting touch and permission Post 302288357 by Whiteboard on Tuesday 17th of February 2009 04:16:19 AM
Old 02-17-2009
I dont think that is possible bcos the default umask value is 022... so the files that you create will be of 644 permission...but am not sure is there a way where you can change ur umask value...

can someone help????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Function

I would like to "touch" all of the files in all of my directories. Instead of typing touch *.* in each directory, how would have unix touch all files in all of my directories? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a025321
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch and echo

hello what is the difference between : touch /home/toto and > /home/toto thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch

why am i unable to change the timestamp on a file I'm getting the following error on AIX. touch: cannot change times Any help is appreciated. Regards, Ram. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch help

I need to change the modified time to below time , but can't get through using touch Nov 27 10:16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

Is there a way to do... touch ./config/newdir/newfile if neither newdir and newfile exists? man touch tells me there's not (?) Is out there another tool to do that? Thx in advance! :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: funyotros
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on touch command

Hi all I changed some of my files in my hoem directory to old dates using the touch command like this touch -t 200805101024 file name but after using this command the date changed properly but it displays like below -rwxr--r-- 1 fincntrg fingrp 193619 May 10 2008 vi.pdf I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Touch Command

Hello, I am trying to use touch command to create 1200 .txt files. I am using this, but it is not working. touch `seq 1 1200`.txt Regards, Siddhesh.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission error when "touch"ing file with different user

Hi, There are 2 users (T886072 & T864764) that need to be provided full (rwx) access to a directory. I made the changes to the directory permissions using chmod and setfacl : root@digidb2:# chmod 700 /u02/ftpfiles/MFRS16/discount_rates/ root@digidb2:# setfacl -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
UMASK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UMASK(2)

NAME
umask - set file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> mode_t umask(mode_t mask); DESCRIPTION
umask() sets the calling process's file mode creation mask (umask) to mask & 0777 (i.e., only the file permission bits of mask are used), and returns the previous value of the mask. The umask is used by open(2), mkdir(2), and other system calls that create files to modify the permissions placed on newly created files or directories. Specifically, permissions in the umask are turned off from the mode argument to open(2) and mkdir(2). The constants that should be used to specify mask are described under stat(2). The typical default value for the process umask is S_IWGRP | S_IWOTH (octal 022). In the usual case where the mode argument to open(2) is specified as: S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IWGRP | S_IROTH | S_IWOTH (octal 0666) when creating a new file, the permissions on the resulting file will be: S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IROTH (because 0666 & ~022 = 0644; i.e., rw-r--r--). RETURN VALUE
This system call always succeeds and the previous value of the mask is returned. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
A child process created via fork(2) inherits its parent's umask. The umask is left unchanged by execve(2). The umask setting also affects the permissions assigned to POSIX IPC objects (mq_open(3), sem_open(3), shm_open(3)), FIFOs (mkfifo(3)), and Unix domain sockets (unix(7)) created by the process. The umask does not affect the permissions assigned to System V IPC objects created by the process (using msgget(2), semget(2), shmget(2)). SEE ALSO
chmod(2), mkdir(2), open(2), stat(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-01-09 UMASK(2)