Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble with tee command to capture script outputs Post 302288239 by muthubharadwaj on Monday 16th of February 2009 07:24:57 PM
Old 02-16-2009
Is there an alternative to "tee" with "pipeline" to capture outputs and at the same time view on the stdout device? Thanks again for the clear explanation, helped me a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

What command or script to capture a system snapshot?

Some background on what I am trying to accomplish - Accreditation/Certification for DoD (Unix/Linux) system: I am trying to improve the process for capturing key system information in preparation for performing a formal security review of a Unix or Linux system. This is in addition to the SRR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SecureMe
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tee with pipe command.

cat work.txt M|324324|32424|3431 M|324324|32424|3431 N|324324|32426|3432 N|324324|32424|3434 M|324324|32424|3435 cat work.txt | tee $( grep '^M' > m.txt ) | $( grep '^N' > n.txt ) cehpny00:/home01/sr38632 $ cat m.txt M|324324|32424|3431 M|324324|32424|3431 M|324324|32424|3435 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsampathy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create outputs from other command outputs

hi friends, The code: i=1 while do filename=`/usr/bin/ls -l| awk '{ print $9}'` echo $filename>>summary.csv #Gives the name of the file stored at column 9 count=`wc -l $filename | awk '{print $1}'` echo $count>>summary.csv #Gives just the count of lines of file "filename" i=`expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tee + more command

script1: #!/bin/ksh more test.txt script2: calling the script1 #!/bin/ksh /tmp/script1.sh 2>&1 | tee tee.log where test.txt contains ~1200 lines. When I execute the script2 the more command does not print pagewise it goes to the end of the line, when I remove the tee command it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasad111
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture IP and command type in linux script

hi guys, is there any way to capture the ip address of users who log-in to linux then capture the command executed together with the time and date? example output 192.1.1.1 : ls -ltr Aug 6 16:38:40thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3xt3r
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using tee to capture activity - nothing happens

Hi, I'm sure this is real simple but in the looking I've done I haven't seen it addressed (or didn't realize it). I've started up a PuTTY connection to our UNIX box and started screen and script - no problems. Then I typed "tee teeKH18.txt" expecting it to start tee and dump all activity into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike Welch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tee command

In the current directory , I have seven files . But when I use the following command , it lists eight files ( 7 files + file_list.xtx) ls -1 | tee file_list.xtx | while read line; do echo $line ; done Does the tee command create the file_list.xtx file first and then executes the ls -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about tee command

I have the following script as shown below where I cat a file and then also tee the output to a file as I have to email the execution of the process to users at the end of the script: cat incoming.dat | tee -a execution.log if then echo "Issue with incoming.dat file, file not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command to capture word from shell script and send email

Hello Experts, Greeting to all of you. I have a requirement, that we have a shell script status.sh that check the status of server and server status shows as status.sh Enterprise Server - Running Admin Server - Shutdown Requirement is like whenever the output shows shutdown it should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aks_1902
2 Replies
MSGEXEC(1)								GNU								MSGEXEC(1)

NAME
msgexec - process translations of message catalog SYNOPSIS
msgexec [OPTION] COMMAND [COMMAND-OPTION] DESCRIPTION
Applies a command to all translations of a translation catalog. The COMMAND can be any program that reads a translation from standard input. It is invoked once for each translation. Its output becomes msgexec's output. msgexec's return code is the maximum return code across all invocations. A special builtin command called '0' outputs the translation, followed by a null byte. The output of "msgexec 0" is suitable as input for "xargs -0". Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Input file location: -i, --input=INPUTFILE input PO file -D, --directory=DIRECTORY add DIRECTORY to list for input files search If no input file is given or if it is -, standard input is read. Input file syntax: -P, --properties-input input file is in Java .properties syntax --stringtable-input input file is in NeXTstep/GNUstep .strings syntax Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for msgexec is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msgexec programs are properly installed at your site, the command info msgexec should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-tools 0.14.4 April 2005 MSGEXEC(1)