Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing arguments to Perl Function Post 302287930 by pludi on Monday 16th of February 2009 03:50:18 AM
Old 02-16-2009
Try it like this (changes in red)
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings

my $DATABASE = "/home/myfile/DATABASE_DIR";

open_my_doc( "Pricelist" );

sub open_my_doc {
print "$DATABASE/$_[0]\n"; 
open(my FH, "< $DATABASE/$_[0]" ) or die $!;
        while (<FH>) {
          print $_;
        }
        close FH;
}

use strict and use warnings help catch a lot of programmatic errors that otherwise would only show themselfs later (maybe even only as heisenbugs).
Calling perl -c <script> does a syntax check without running it, so that syntactic error (like your last }) can be found.
I suggest installing perltidy, as it will clean your code in terms of indentation and unneeded clutter (like ; at the end of blocks when they aren't needed)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing arguments

I'm trying to pass a filename, or all the files in the current directory to the ls command with a script. Unsuccessful so far, here are a few of my attempts: #!/bin/ksh read fname #if (( $# > 0 )); then $fname | ls -l #fi this produces a long listing of all the files in my current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a Perl script

I am playing around with Perl and wrote the script below that is executed from the command line, it will split data up in a file based on a value supplied. When executed you provide two arguments - the file that contains the data to be split and the character you want to split by. It works as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Function Array Arguement Passing

Hi All, I have some questions regarding array arguements passing for Perl Function. If @array contains 2 items , arguements passing would be like Code_A. But what if @array needs to add in more items, the rest of the code like $_ will have to be modified as well (highlighted in red), which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments

Hi I have a script to which I pass multiple arguments, for example lets say the script name is "abc". I run the script like ./abc def /file <directory location> In the above "def" is the first argument and "/file" is the second argument. I expect <directory location> that is passed after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing arguments

I need to pass arguments to a shell script.My batch is calling some java program. ################# x=$1 y=$2 java -classpath program ################### if first parameter and second parameter is null then java -classpath program if first parameter is not null and second parameter is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnjx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in passing date to external function from perl script.

my $sysdate = strftime('%Y-%m-%d', localtime ); biDeriveByDate('Table_Str',$sysdate,\@lIndx,\@lResVals) In a perl script, when I'm trying to pass $sysdate to some external function it's not working since $sysdate is passed as a string mentioned above but my function is expecting a date value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to a perl script

Hi I need to pass comma seperated arguments to a perl script? It is like: Exect.pl -d GUI1,GUI2,GUI3 and I need to store these argsGUI1,GUI2,GUI3 in an array. can anyone suggest how to do that: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems passing shell arguments to perl

Semi-newbie, so flame throwers to 'singe-only', please. ;-) I have a large number of (say) .html files, where I'd like to do a recursive in-place search and replace a particular string. The following bit of perl works fine: perl -pi -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' `find ./ -name *.html` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny_canucl
2 Replies
GLCOLORMASK(3G) 														   GLCOLORMASK(3G)

NAME
glColorMask - enable and disable writing of frame buffer color components C SPECIFICATION
void glColorMask( GLboolean red, GLboolean green, GLboolean blue, GLboolean alpha ) PARAMETERS
red, green, blue, alpha Specify whether red, green, blue, and alpha can or cannot be written into the frame buffer. The initial values are all GL_TRUE, indicating that the color components can be written. DESCRIPTION
glColorMask specifies whether the individual color components in the frame buffer can or cannot be written. If red is GL_FALSE, for exam- ple, no change is made to the red component of any pixel in any of the color buffers, regardless of the drawing operation attempted. Changes to individual bits of components cannot be controlled. Rather, changes are either enabled or disabled for entire color components. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if glColorMask is executed between the execution of glBegin and the corresponding execution of glEnd. ASSOCIATED GETS
glGet with argument GL_COLOR_WRITEMASK glGet with argument GL_RGBA_MODE SEE ALSO
glClear(3G), glColor(3G), glColorPointer(3G), glDepthMask(3G), glIndex(3G), glIndexPointer(3G), glIndexMask(3G), glStencilMask(3G) GLCOLORMASK(3G)