Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Packet capturing using pcap
Top Forums Programming Packet capturing using pcap Post 302287929 by nameless` on Monday 16th of February 2009 03:45:18 AM
Old 02-16-2009
Sorry, i don't answer to your question but i'm interesting in how you set up these two virtual interface (i'm currently programming a virtual interface).
For your problem i think there is an easier solution but you can make 4 tcpdump threads for each interface.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Compiling Pcap.c

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but hopefully someone can atleast point me in the right direction if they can't help me. I am trying to install the Net::Pcap module for perl from Tim Potter version .04. I have installed gcc 2.95.3 on my Solaris 8 box. I am sure it's just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
6 Replies

2. Programming

pcap.h

I cant use pcap.h include file. How can I do so? :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pervez Sajjad
8 Replies

3. Programming

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pcap.h Sniffing

Can someone please help me figure out how to use pcap.h to sniff packets between only 2 computers whose mac addresses are know? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: papabearcares
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hershey101
1 Replies

6. Programming

searching through pcap files

Hi, I am new at UNIX and programing in general and only have a basic knowledge of C++. I am helping out with some research at a college and was given the task to sort through captured packets via IP addresses. I was wondering if anyone could help me with writing a code which filters through pcap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hershey101
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

How to capturing packet data so i can see the Version, IHL, TOS, etc?

Helo Folks :) i had read an answer in this thread unixcom/programming/117551-calculate-ip-header-checksum-manually.html i need to know what the software name that was used to capturing packet data in a network, just like the packet's capture output that showed up in the thread. Thank you :)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polutan
5 Replies

8. Programming

Ascii vs Pcap tracing

Dear All, Which is better to use ? Ascii or Pcap tracing ? Or are they complementary ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
1 Replies

9. Programming

PCAP -> PFRING

Hi I have a program that captures packets with the libpcap library by calling the pcap-functions, e.g. pcap_next(...). I would like to use PF_RING for the program and therefore I would have to adjust the calling functions to pfring_open(...) pfring_recv(...) I'm pretty knew in network... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
0 Replies

10. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies
vni(7d)                                                               Devices                                                              vni(7d)

NAME
vni - STREAMS virtual network interface driver DESCRIPTION
The vni pseudo device is a multi-threaded, loadable, clonable, STREAMS pseudo-device supporting the connectionless Data Link Provider Interface dlpi(7P) Style 2. Note that DLPI is intended to interact with IP, meaning that DLPI access to applications is not supported. (For example, snoop fails on the vni interface.) The vni device is a software-only interface and does not send or receive data. The device provides a DLPI upper interface that identifies itself to IP with a private media type. It can be configured via ifconfig(1M) and can have IP addresses assigned to it, making aliases pos- sible. The vni pseudo device is particularly useful in hosting an IP address when used in conjunction with the 'usesrc' ifconfig option (see ifconfig(1M) for examples). The logical instances of the device can also be used to host addresses as an alternative to hosting them over the loopback interface. Multicast is not supported on this device. More specifically, the following options return an error when used with an address specified on vni: IP_MULTICAST_IF, IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP, IPV6_MULTICAST_IF, IPV6_JOIN_GROUP, IPV6_LEAVE_GROUP. In addition, broadcast is not supported. Because there is no physical hardware configured below it, no traffic can be received through nor transmitted on a virtual interface. All packet transmission and reception is accomplished with existing physical interfaces and tunnels. Because applications that deal with packet transmission and reception (such as packet filters) cannot filter traffic on virtual interfaces, you cannot set up a packet filter on a virtual interface. Instead, you should configure the policy rules to apply to the physical interfaces and tunnels, and if necessary, use the virtual IP addresses themselves as part of the rule configuration. Also, note that the virtual interface cannot be part of an IP multi- pathing (IPMP) group. FILES
/dev/vni 64-bit ELF kernel driver SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), in.mpathd(1M), ip(7P), ip6(7P) SunOS 5.10 18 July 2004 vni(7d)