Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to check file update on ftp server Post 302287866 by z1dane on Monday 16th of February 2009 01:06:37 AM
Old 02-16-2009
Script to check file update on ftp server

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to do a stat of files on a ftp server? I have a database which is populated by the contents of these files. I want to setup a crontab to check if there has been an update to these files. If the file has been updated I will download it and then update my database.

I want to know of a way to compare my local files with the files on the server. I don't want to download them and then check since they are quite big.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

-------------------------

Update: wget -N <URL>
seems to do the job.

Last edited by z1dane; 02-17-2009 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Found a solution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to move a file from one server to another server using FTP in shell script?

I have a file --> file1.txt i need to copy this file to another server using FTP....the 2 servers are server1 and server2..may i know how to write a script that can do this? thanks in advance! Im a newbie to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for FTP a file from one server to another server

Hi Can any one help me for script. I need a script and this script has to execute daily to move the files. FTP from one server to another server EX: Sep 10 06:24 abc.txt Sep 11 06.56 abc.txt Sep 12 08.23 abc.txt these files are located at a/b/c/e/f in 123 server and copy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahantysk
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How check for a new file on a ftp-server

Hi there, I want to write a linux shellscript that checks a specific folder on a specific FTP-server whether there are new files or not. If there are new files I want to download them to a local directory (to gain access for an local application to these files). The problem is that the files I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monstrous
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Contantly check for file at the remote server and ftp when avaliable

Hello, I used the search engine but could not find the solution I am looking for. Probably its simple but I do not know the solution. My requirement is I ftp files every day in the morning from the remote server to the local machine. Now if the files are not there at the time I schedule the ftp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to check the file using ftp in a shell script

i need to write a shell script.. connecting to another server using ftp and check whether the file ter.txt is exists there or not. i have written scirpt partially,as i new to Unix. ftp -inv $FTPHOST > $TEMPFILE1 2> $TEMPFILE1 << EOF user $FTPUSER $FTPPW binary prompt ${CD} ls *.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to upload latest file to other server via FTP

Hello, I have a script that finds the latest version of a file in a folder on my Minecraft server. I'm trying to come up with something that will then FTP that file over to my fileserver. Here's what I have that finds the newest file: find /home/mc/archive/sbhouse -type f -mtime +45 -exec... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read from a file and update remote server

Its a tough one and would appreciate any guidance for a script that i am trying to develop....Again I do understand its a complicated script and help would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you 1- Need to check for a file (in a certain location on a server) every 15 minute or so if it is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the space in ftp server

i am connected to the ftp server. how to check the space in that server. what is the command to check in the below command prompt ftp> ftp> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update/Download file from FTP server to UNIX Server

HI Guys, I want to download files from FTP Server to my Unix server. I have tried , buy No Luck . Below Command i have tried. 1-Wget - Error "wget' not found" 2.ftp -n $HOST ...Not Working. 3.scp -i ftp://user:passowrd@hostname:21/ran/on/test.txt Any Suggestion (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

FTP script to get latest file from server

Hello people, I have to download, with a scheduled script, the latest file from an FTP server. In the remote DIR, named .../TEKNONET/60468/, every night a CDR file like this gets uploaded into it: 000006046820151122N001.CDR, so my script will have to download every day the previous day... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtus96
12 Replies
UPDATE-SMART-DRIVEDB(8)                                       SMART Monitoring Tools                                       UPDATE-SMART-DRIVEDB(8)

NAME
update-smart-drivedb - update smartmontools drive database SYNOPSIS
update-smart-drivedb [OPTIONS] [DESTFILE] DESCRIPTION
[This man page is generated for the Linux version of smartmontools. It does not contain info specific to other platforms.] update-smart-drivedb updates /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h or DESTFILE from smartmontools SVN repository. It tries to download first from the current branch and then from trunk. The tools used for downloading are either curl(1), wget(1), lynx(1), or svn(1). The old file is kept if the downloaded file is identical (ignoring the differences in Id string) otherwise it is moved to drivedb.h.old. OPTIONS
-s SMARTCTL Use the smartctl(8) executable at path SMARTCTL for drive database syntax check. The form '-s -' disables the syntax check. The default is /usr/sbin/smartctl. -t TOOL Use TOOL for download. TOOL is one of: curl wget lynx svn. The default is the first one found in PATH. -u LOCATION Use URL of LOCATION for download. LOCATION is one of: sf (Sourceforge code browser via HTTPS), svn (SVN repository via HTTPS), svni (SVN repository via HTTP), trac (Trac code browser via HTTPS). The default is svn. --cacert FILE Use CA certificates from FILE to verify the peer. --capath DIR Use CA certificate files from DIR to verify the peer. --insecure Don't abort download if certificate verification fails. This option is also required if a HTTP URL is selected with '-u' option. --dryrun Print download commands only. -v Verbose output. EXAMPLES
# update-smart-drivedb /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h updated from branches/RELEASE_6_6_DRIVEDB EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 if the database has been successfully updated. If an error occurs the exit status is 1. FILES
/usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb full path of this script. /usr/sbin/smartctl used to check syntax of new drive database. /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h current drive database. /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h.old previous drive database. /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h.error new drive database if rejected due to syntax errors. /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h.lastcheck empty file created if downloaded file was identical. AUTHORS
Christian Franke. This manual page was originally written by Hannes von Haugwitz <hannes@vonhaugwitz.com>. REPORTING BUGS
To submit a bug report, create a ticket in smartmontools wiki: <http://www.smartmontools.org/>. Alternatively send the info to the smartmontools support mailing list: <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/smartmontools-support>. SEE ALSO
smartctl(8), smartd(8). PACKAGE VERSION
smartmontools-6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 $Id: update-smart-drivedb.8.in 4223 2016-02-26 20:18:40Z chrfranke $ smartmontools-6.6 2016-05-31 UPDATE-SMART-DRIVEDB(8)