Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! "grep" doesn't work for me! Post 302287696 by kaixinsjtu on Sunday 15th of February 2009 05:37:29 AM
Old 02-15-2009
I really appreciate your help!
However, the file is from human genome sequencing (>1G, too large).
I found some other way to do it. Not with Unix. But in R. Although not so efficient.
Anyway, thanks again. Smilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny651
Code:
-bash-3.00$ grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

-bash-3.00$
-bash-3.00$ whereis grep
grep: /bin/grep /usr/share/man/man1/grep.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1p/grep.1p.gz
-bash-3.00$ ldd /bin/grep
        libpcre.so.0 => /lib/libpcre.so.0 (0x00b17000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x009c1000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x009a8000)
-bash-3.00$
-bash-3.00$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant)
-bash-3.00$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.00.15(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
-bash-3.00$

That is my grep version.
You can upload your xxx.txt file if possible for us to test, or check the format of that file.

Smilie I am sorry that my computer is Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4. not FC9. I mistaken it...

Be patien.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

my "case" doesn't work !

I'm using the case statement in the following script and it always takes the "*" default choice while it should be "3". I wonder why ??? dt_auj=`date +%d` NBLOG=`ls -al /users/notes01/LOG/t*|awk '{print $7}'|grep $dt_auj|wc -l` case $NBLOG in 1) cat ~/LOG/console-notes > $fic_tmp1 ;; 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why "@z=$x+$y" doesn't work?

253 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> set x=1;set y=2;@z=$x+$y @z=1+2: Command not found. 254 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
11 Replies

3. Linux

By angle-brackets/"pipe" button doesn't work?

How can I configure it? I have a swedish keyboard with swedish keyboard setting. Everything works perfectly (едц) except that button. What can be wrong? /Richard ++ NOTE: It seems like the computer notices the input but that the button isn't assigned to anything (the keyboard-cursor stops).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sometimes "ps -elf" command doesn't work

when i give "ps -elf" or "ps" system gets hung. if i press "^c" come out from it... pls help..what should i do to get it resolved. thanks CKanth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

6. AIX

"/" doesn't work on command prompt for searching commands last typed

When I use "/" to look for a particular command that I typed in the current session it says D02:-/home/user1/temp> /job ksh: /job: not found. D02:-/home/user1/temp> previously it used to fetch all the commands which had job in it.. for example subjob, endjob, joblist etc... may I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetzap
7 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - "|" key doesn't work (!)

More issues. The "|" key doesn't work at all, either in the text terminal or in mwm (which starts fine when I do "startx"). How am I supposed to troubleshoot without a "|" key? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't "grep -w" ALWAYS work?

Working with IP addresses is a pain... Here's my problem: I'm putting some interface information to a file: 3.185.201.2 | Tu1102 152.162.54.130 | Gi0/2.36 3.185.226.2 | Gi0/1 3.185.0.82 | Tu1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies
Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_density(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		 Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_density(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_density - A density plot compatible with dense "wig"data SYNOPSIS
See <Bio::Graphics::Panel> and <Bio::Graphics::Glyph>. DESCRIPTION
This glyph works like the regular density but takes value data in Bio::Graphics::Wiggle file format: reference = chr1 ChipCHIP Feature1 1..10000 wigfile=./test.wig;wigstart=0 ChipCHIP Feature2 10001..20000 wigfile=./test.wig;wigstart=656 ChipCHIP Feature3 25001..35000 wigfile=./test.wig;wigstart=1312 The "wigfile" attribute gives a relative or absolute pathname to a Bio::Graphics::Wiggle format file. The optional "wigstart" option gives the offset to the start of the data. If not specified, a linear search will be used to find the data. The data consist of a packed binary representation of the values in the feature, using a constant step such as present in tiling array data. OPTIONS The same as the regular graded_segments glyph, except that the following options are recognized: Name Value Description ---- ----- ----------- basedir path Path to be used to resolve "wigfile" and "densefile" tags giving relative paths. Default is to use the current working directory. Absolute wigfile & densefile paths will not be changed. autoscale "local" or "global" If one or more of min_score and max_score options are absent, then these values will be calculated automatically. The "autoscale" option controls how the calculation is done. The "local" value will scale values according to the minimum and maximum values present in the window being graphed. "global" will use chromosome-wide statistics for the entire wiggle or dense file to find min and max values. smoothing method name Smoothing method: one of "mean", "max", "min" or "none" smoothing_window integer Number of values across which data should be smoothed. bicolor_pivot name Where to pivot the two colors when drawing bicolor plots. Options are "mean" and "zero". A numeric value can also be provided. pos_color color When drawing bicolor plots, the fill color to use for values that are above the pivot point. neg_color color When drawing bicolor plots, the fill color to use for values that are below the pivot point. SPECIAL FEATURE TAGS The glyph expects one or more of the following tags (attributes) in feature it renders: Name Value Description ---- ----- ----------- wigfile path name Path to the Bio::Graphics::Wiggle file for vales. (required) densefile path name Path to a Bio::Graphics::DenseFeature object (deprecated) denseoffset integer Integer offset to where the data begins in the Bio::Graphics::DenseFeature file (deprecated) densesize integer Integer size of the data in the Bio::Graphics::DenseFeature file (deprecated) BUGS
Please report them. SEE ALSO
Bio::Graphics::Panel, Bio::Graphics::Glyph, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::cds, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::crossbox, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::diamond, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::dna, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::dot, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::ellipse, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::extending_arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::generic, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::graded_segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::heterogeneous_segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::line, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::pinsertion, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::primers, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::rndrect, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::segments, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::ruler_arrow, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::toomany, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::transcript, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::transcript2, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::translation, Bio::Graphics::Glyph::allele_tower, Bio::DB::GFF, Bio::SeqI, Bio::SeqFeatureI, Bio::Das, GD AUTHOR
Lincoln Stein <steinl@cshl.edu>. Copyright (c) 2007 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory This package and its accompanying libraries is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GPL (either version 1, or at your option, any later version) or the Artistic License 2.0. Refer to LICENSE for the full license text. In addition, please see DISCLAIMER.txt for disclaimers of warranty. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-20 Bio::Graphics::Glyph::wiggle_density(3pm)