Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX how to loop through non-empty files with shell script on AIX Post 302287577 by frank_rizzo on Saturday 14th of February 2009 10:54:47 AM
Old 02-14-2009
I suggest that you change stat.* to stat.\*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete empty files in a shell script

I'm trying to figure out a way to delete empty files in a directory. I have a cron that runs and creates a flat file every 15 mins. However, most times at night the flat file will be empty. I'd like to run a script to delete empty files that end with *.dat Any suggestions? Rich (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnuge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help shell script to loop through files update ctl file to be sql loaded

I am currently trying to find a way to loop through files in a given directory and for each file modify a ctl file and sql load it. I have been using the sed command to change the infile, badfile parameters of the control file. I have not yet tried to sql load it. Requirement: files are ftp to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_nh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Initializing files to empty in korn shell

hello, i want to know how to initialize a file to an empty one in korn shell scripting? i'm using a file name and building it during a while loop using >>. The problem occurs when the file is not empty before reaching the while loop. therefore, i want to initialize it before the loop to get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check for empty file in C shell script

I am running a C shell script. I have an output file from a previous step and I need to run "something" in the next step to check if the file is empty. If the file is empty, then the job script should finish EOJ. If the file is not empty then the job script should abend. Please help Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Shell Script To Loop Program Through Multiple Text Files

Hello, So I have approximately 300 files of raw data (.txt) files that I am using to perform statistical analysis. I have been able to construct a Fortran program that is able to perform my statistical analysis on a file by file basis. However, I now want to be able to loop program through... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmyd24
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove empty files

Hi All, Can anyone please write a shell script to remove the empty files using an if condition. please help me out , urgent thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthi_murali
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to loop through files

Hi Team, I am new to shell scripting. I have the below requirement 1) Say if i am searching for 20160815 in a directory /dir 2) Now i need to get the files present in dir whose time stamp in greater than or equal to 20160815 3) Then i need to find the string 20160815 from the set of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajendra Kalepu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete empty files from specific locations

Hi, I need help in regard to developing a shell script to delete empty files from multiple specific locations. The directory paths will be stored in a text file. So the requirement is to read the text file for one specific path and then remove empty files from that particular path. Looping through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
4 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)