Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help! "grep" doesn't work for me! Post 302287532 by kaixinsjtu on Saturday 14th of February 2009 03:26:02 AM
Old 02-14-2009
I have tried, but failed to work. nothing show up after I put in a space after A/C.
I guess "/" is considered a 'space'...
That's also why I'm asking if I could set the delimiter by myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny651
How about
grep "A/C " xxx.txt
? there is a space after "C"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

my "case" doesn't work !

I'm using the case statement in the following script and it always takes the "*" default choice while it should be "3". I wonder why ??? dt_auj=`date +%d` NBLOG=`ls -al /users/notes01/LOG/t*|awk '{print $7}'|grep $dt_auj|wc -l` case $NBLOG in 1) cat ~/LOG/console-notes > $fic_tmp1 ;; 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why "@z=$x+$y" doesn't work?

253 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> set x=1;set y=2;@z=$x+$y @z=1+2: Command not found. 254 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
11 Replies

3. Linux

By angle-brackets/"pipe" button doesn't work?

How can I configure it? I have a swedish keyboard with swedish keyboard setting. Everything works perfectly (едц) except that button. What can be wrong? /Richard ++ NOTE: It seems like the computer notices the input but that the button isn't assigned to anything (the keyboard-cursor stops).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sometimes "ps -elf" command doesn't work

when i give "ps -elf" or "ps" system gets hung. if i press "^c" come out from it... pls help..what should i do to get it resolved. thanks CKanth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

6. AIX

"/" doesn't work on command prompt for searching commands last typed

When I use "/" to look for a particular command that I typed in the current session it says D02:-/home/user1/temp> /job ksh: /job: not found. D02:-/home/user1/temp> previously it used to fetch all the commands which had job in it.. for example subjob, endjob, joblist etc... may I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetzap
7 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - "|" key doesn't work (!)

More issues. The "|" key doesn't work at all, either in the text terminal or in mwm (which starts fine when I do "startx"). How am I supposed to troubleshoot without a "|" key? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesn't "grep -w" ALWAYS work?

Working with IP addresses is a pain... Here's my problem: I'm putting some interface information to a file: 3.185.201.2 | Tu1102 152.162.54.130 | Gi0/2.36 3.185.226.2 | Gi0/1 3.185.0.82 | Tu1 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turk22
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies
LESSECHO(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any metacharacter in the output is preceded by an "escape" character, which by default is a backslash. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ex Specifies "x", rather than backslash, to be the escape char for metachars. If x is "-", no escape char is used and arguments con- taining metachars are surrounded by quotes instead. -ox Specifies "x", rather than double-quote, to be the open quote character, which is used if the -e- option is specified. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. By default, no characters are considered metachars. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing metacharacters are quoted SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 487: 25 Oct 2016 LESSECHO(1)