Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Iterative statement to cut values from a line Post 302287320 by mannepalli on Friday 13th of February 2009 09:40:59 AM
Old 02-13-2009
Iterative statement to cut values from a line

Hi I am new to shell scripting and trying to get values from a text file,

I have a text file with values seperated with "|". like

aga|120220090525|120220090525|120220090525|120220090530
bab|120220090530|120220090530|120220090535|120220090535|120220090535
afsdv|120220090540|120220090540|120220090540

My requirement is to fetch each value seperated with "|" and put it in a seperate strings in a iterative statement..like

string1 : aga
string2 : 120220090525
string3 :120220090525
string4 :120220090525
string5 :120220090530

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code checking for all values in the same if statement.

I am trying to set up a variable based on the name of the file. function script_name { if then job_name='MONITOR' return job_name; elsif then job_name='VERSION' return job_name fi } for i in `ls *log` do script_name $i done. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to assign cut values to an array

i need to seperate values seperated by delimiters and assign it to an array.. can u plz help me on that. Variables = "asd,rgbh,(,rty,got,),sroe,9034," i need to assign the variables into arrays.. like.. var=asd var=rgbh.. and so on how do i do this. i need to reuse the values stored in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterative operation

grep -o '\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}' then how do i iterate the file names?? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravis83
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with some iterative file processing

Gurus - Please help with this urgent situation. I have the following problem to solve using a shell script: 1. There are about 13 files named CONTAINER_1.lst, CONTAINER_2.lst, CONTAINER_3.lst .....CONTAINER_13.lst 2. Each of these files contain about 8 lines (in most cases) containing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH if statement using FLOAT values

Today I spent longer than I'd like to admit figuring out how to write a Bourne shell IF statement that tests a FLOAT value before executing a block of statements. Here's the solution I found, which invokes bc. Hope this will come in handy for someone: value = testval = if then body... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjepsen
5 Replies

6. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Looping using cut statement

i want to create loop for below mentioned A1=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f3` A2=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f4` A3=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f5` A4=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f6` A5=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f7` A6=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f8` A7=`echo $obj1 | cut -d "," -f9` A8=`echo $obj1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasricha.kunal
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterative parsing

I have always struggled when parsing a file vertically vs. by line horizontally. Can't seem to get my head around the concept. Here again I need to convert vertical output to horizontal output. original output root@acuransx:bpplsched 2000-STAND3 -v -M acuransx -l <2>bpplsched: INITIATING:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jouuu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cut statement

Hi i have the below content in a file and i am trying to cut 5.4 , but when i use the below cut command nothing comes up . I am not sure what i am doing wrong. I am new to unix. Please help me, thanks for the help in advance. $ cat pid.txt 5.4 21399 ./PreRating $ cut -d ' ' -f1 pid.txt ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick1982
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut from tables based on column values

Hello, I have a tab-delimited table that may contain 11,12 or 13 columns. Depending on the number of columns, I want to cut and get a sub table as shown below. However, the awk commands in the code seem to be an issue. What should I be doing differently? #cut columns 1-2,4-5,11 when 12 &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies
tr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     tr(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
string1 string2 string1 string1 string1 string1 DESCRIPTION
copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. If necessary, string1 and string2 can be quoted to avoid pattern matching by the shell. recognizes the following command line options: Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When this flag is specified does not support extended characters. Complements the set of characters in string1, which is the set of all characters in the current character set, as defined by the current setting of except for those actually specified in the string1 argument. These characters are placed in the array in ascending collation sequence, as defined by the current setting of Deletes all occurrences of input characters or collating elements found in the array specified in string1. If and are both specified, all characters except those specified by string1 are deleted. The contents of string2 are ignored, unless is also specified. Note, however, that the same string cannot be used for both the and the flags; when both flags are specified, both string1 (used for deletion) and string2 (used for squeezing) are required. If is not specified, each input character or collating element found in the array specified by string1 is replaced by the character or collating element in the same relative position specified by string2. Replaces any character specified in string1 that occurs as a string of two or more repeating characters as a single instance of the character in string2. If the string2 contains a character class, the argument's array contains all of the characters in that character class. For example: In a case conversion, however, the string2 array contains only those characters defined as the second characters in each of the or character pairs, as appropriate. For example: The following abbreviation conventions can be used to introduce ranges of characters, repeated characters or single-character collating elements into the strings: c1-c2 or Stands for the range of collating elements c1 through c2, inclusive, as defined by the current setting of the locale category. Stands for all the characters belonging to the defined character class, as defined by the current setting of locale category. The following character class names will be accepted when spec- ified in string1: or Character classes are expanded in collation order. When the and flags are specified together, any of the character class names are accepted in string2; otherwise, only character class names or are accepted in string2 and then only if the corresponding character class and respectively) is specified in the same relative position in string1. Such a specification is interpreted as a request for case conversion. When appears in string1 and appears in string2, the arrays contain the characters from the mapping in the category of the current locale. When appears in string1 and appears in string2, the arrays contain the characters from the map- ping in the category of the current locale. Stands for all the characters or collating elements belonging to the same equivalence class as c, as defined by the current setting of locale category. An equivalence class expression is allowed only in string1, or in string2 when it is being used by the combined and options. Stands for n repetitions of a. If the first digit of n is n is considered octal; otherwise, n is treated as a decimal value. A zero or missing n is interpreted as large enough to extend string2-based sequence to the length of the string1-based sequence. The escape character can be used as in the shell to remove special meaning from any character in a string. In addition, followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits represents the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. An ASCII NULL character in string1 or string2 can be represented only as an escaped character; i.e. as but is treated like other characters and translated correctly if so specified. NULL characters in the input are not stripped out unless the option is given. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the char- acters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: All input was processed successfully. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
For the ASCII character set and default collation sequence, create a list of all the words in file1, one per line in file2, where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. Quote the strings to protect the special characters from interpretation by the shell (012 is the ASCII code for a new-line (line feed) character): Same as above, but for all character sets and collation sequences: Translate all lower case characters in file1 to upper case and write the result to standard output. Use an equivalence class to identify accented variants of the base character in file1, strip them of diacritical marks and write the result to file2: Translate each digit in file1 to a (number sign), and write the result to file2. The (asterisk) tells to repeat the (number sign) enough times to make the second string as long as the first one. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sh(1), ascii(5), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tr(1)