Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compressed file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compressed file Post 302287294 by Ankgne on Friday 13th of February 2009 07:49:54 AM
Old 02-13-2009
try gzcat xyz.gz
or
gunzip -c xyz.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Import data from compressed file

HI I need to import data from a file which is in comressed format but system doesn't have enough space to uncompress file Is there any way so that i can do import from compressed file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ap_gore79
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file compressed or not

Is there a way I can check if a file is comppressed or not? (Be it tar/gzip or compress). trying to write a generic housekeeping scrit that will delete files over 6 months old and compress any uncompressed files if less than 6 months old. But not sure if there is a clever way to check except for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badg3r
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to search for text within compressed file

I was wondering if there's a way to search within a file that's been compressed. i.e. if file a is inside file a.zip or a.gz, is there a a command that will retrieve the string of data I'm looking for in file a, and list which compressed file it found it in? Please help! Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is it possible to see the content of the compressed file?

How we can view the content of the file,if it compressed (or) Zipped ,without uncompress ? I have one file ,i compressed it,without uncompressing the file.Is it possible to see the content of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check to see if a file is compressed before trying to compress

I simply need to compress all files in a directory that are not already compressed and that are older than 10 days? I have this so far. I need to add to this so I don't try and compress file that are already compressed. Or if you think this can be simplified let me know. Thx. find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstone
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process a compressed file

Hi i have a filename.tar.bz2 and i have to parse it with a tool that doesn't support compressed files. I have to do it for many big files, so i can't decompress and then process. I'd like to do something like: tar -jxvf namefile.tar.bz2 | parsing_tool i mean analyze it directly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressed file

i have a file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 when i do file 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 the ouput is below 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292: gzip compressed data - deflate method and i run this command gunzip -c 4d7a94d0.bbb.1292 | awk '{gsub("\"","")}/I_ACCOUNT_ID/{print $2}' RS=":|;" FS="," i get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressed and tar file integrity

How can I ensure the folder that I tar and compress is good to be archive in DVD or tape? Must I uncompress and untar the file, or there is any way to tell the integerity of the compressed file before send to archive? I have bad experience on this, which the archive compressed file cold not be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of compressed file

Hi All, Is there is any way to find the size of compressed file without doing decompression. The size should give the original uncompressed data size Thanks Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zgrep output to another compressed file

Hi, I have a big (~15G) compressed file having around 170M records and I need to exclude around 4k bad records (\n in the string) . The typical steps would have been 1. zgrep required records into new file zgrep big15GFile.dat.gz > newBig64GFile.dat 2. zip back new file gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamwha1am
1 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- | fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command | substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even | when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. | If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- | tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- | tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for | that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is | returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. | In this way, all exceptional return codes are ``caught'' by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete | successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns ``xyz {44}'', not ``xyz {$a}'' and the script | set a "p} q {r" | subst {xyz {$a}} | return ``xyz {p} q {r}'', not ``xyz {p} q {r}''. | When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. | set a 44 | subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} | returns ``$a 44'', not ``$a $a''. Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to | retrieve the value of the variable. | proc b {} {return c} | array set a {c c [b] tricky} | subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} | returns ``[b] c'', not ``[b] tricky''. | The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest | of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script | subst {abc,[break],def} | returns ``abc,'', not ``abc,,def'' and the script | subst {abc,[continue;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. | Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value | subst {abc,[return foo;expr 1+2],def} | returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def'' and | subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr 1+2],def} | also returns ``abc,foo,def'', not ``abc,3,def''. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)