Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Metacharacters analysis
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Metacharacters analysis Post 302287277 by gehlnar on Friday 13th of February 2009 06:56:08 AM
Old 02-13-2009
Zaxxon,

Thanks for the link. Got some idea on it that here some string replacement operation(with longest occurance) is perfomed . But can you tell me how to read this. I mean what is the string in this statement?

a_PROCESS=${0##*/}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using metacharacters in loops

Is there a way to use metacharacters in a loop or in an if. I want to allow a user to enter Y, y, Yes, yes, Yah, etc... in a loop I tried: read response while *" ] do........ and while *" ] do ......... this works for grep or egrep but not in loops Why?????? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Metacharacters

I want to display an asterisk to the screen as part of a string. I know how to use the Backslash to escape it's value. But how do I display it without showing the Backslash? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regencyabs
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stuck on csh metacharacters

Hello, I have a question, please (I am using tcsh). I thought that if you enclose something in double quotes, then the shell won't interpret it. For example, when I do: % echo "ls *" I get ls * However, if I do: % echo "!l" I get echo "ls -F" ls -F (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use metacharacters to extract date

If I have a filename as filename.txt.20090807 and I use for FILE in `find . -name "filename*" -type f` do my_time=${FILE#./filename.txt.} I get my output as 20090807 However if my filename is filename.Y20090807.txt Is there a way I can use metacharacters in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Windows Metacharacters to Regular Text

Hi, all. I have a need to take a flat file FTP'd from Windows to Unix and convert it for loading into a MySQL database without manual intervention. However, some characters are "fancified" (e.g. the fancy Beginning and End double-quotes from Windows) that show up as codes using vi. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdelic
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

metacharacters separation

I have prepared a script to submit a string in a txt file. However there are somethings that I have to check before submitting the string in the txt file. One of those checks is to determine whether the string entered contains any metacharacters. I have tried sth like; echo "string" | grep -v ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display types of files using metacharacters

1) I want to display all the files in a directory that start with the word chapter, are followed by a digit 1,2,6,8, or 9 and end with .eps or .prn so I came up with this file ~/temp/chapter.eps ~/temp/chapter.prn but is there a better way, i.e. combining both file types into the command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunsta
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Vs. Bourne REGEX: metacharacters escaping

I am currently reading a very old reference from O'Reilly: Sed and Awk 2nd Edition reprinted in 2000. So far, it's a solid read and still very relevant. I'd highly recommend this to anyone. The only problem I have with this book is that I had to resort to bourne shell to get my examples to work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)