Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mutexing with sysv calls
Top Forums Programming mutexing with sysv calls Post 302287257 by otheus on Friday 13th of February 2009 06:22:45 AM
Old 02-13-2009
That's a lot of code. I'm thinking that areas provisioned by shmget should already have a built-in mechanism for access control. The man pages say something about permissions, but say nothing about they actually work and whether or not they provide exclusion or not.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

3. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

c++ calls bash

hi, i'm a noob i have a quuestion: is possible to call and run the bash script by c++ program? if so, is it posible in grafic? specially Qt ? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3.14.TR
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

7. Solaris

SysV package creation, how to predefine DESTDIR

Hi Solaris experts How to predefine the DESTDIR in a Solaris package? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
1 Replies

8. SCO

Trouble with sysv floppy images created under Linux

Hello, I wonder if anybody could help. I'm running SCO Xenix under Qemu on Xubuntu 16.04. I created a SYSV floppy image, but the files on it are poorly displayed when I mounted it under Xenix. I tried to create and format this image under Ubuntu as well as under Xenix. How could I create a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelix
6 Replies
SHMGET(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 SHMGET(2)

NAME
shmget -- get shared memory area identifier SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/shm.h> int shmget(key_t key, size_t size, int shmflg); DESCRIPTION
shmget() returns the shared memory identifier associated with the key key. A shared memory segment is created if either key is equal to IPC_PRIVATE, or key does not have a shared memory segment identifier associated with it, and the IPC_CREAT bit is set in shmflg. If a new shared memory segment is created, the data structure associated with it (the shmid_ds structure, see shmctl(2)) is initialized as follows: o shm_perm.cuid and shm_perm.uid are set to the effective uid of the calling process. o shm_perm.gid and shm_perm.cgid are set to the effective gid of the calling process. o shm_perm.mode is set to the lower 9 bits of shmflg. o shm_lpid, shm_nattch, shm_atime, and shm_dtime are set to 0 o shm_ctime is set to the current time. o shm_segsz is set to the value of size. o The ftok(3) function may be used to generate a key from a pathname. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion a positive shared memory segment identifier is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The shmget() system call will fail if: [EACCES] A shared memory segment is already associated with key and the caller has no permission to access it. [EEXIST] Both IPC_CREAT and IPC_EXCL are set in shmflg, and a shared memory segment is already associated with key. [EINVAL] No shared memory segment is to be created, and a shared memory segment exists for key, but the size of the segment associ- ated with it is less than size, which is non-zero. [ENOENT] IPC_CREAT was not set in shmflg and no shared memory segment associated with key was found. [ENOMEM] There is not enough memory left to created a shared memory segment of the requested size. [ENOSPC] A new shared memory identifier could not be created because the system limit for the number of shared memory identifiers has been reached. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> int shmget(key_t key, int size, int shmflg); All of these include files are necessary. The type of size has changed. SEE ALSO
ftok(3), shmat(2), shmctl(2), shmdt(2), compat(5) BSD
August 17, 1995 BSD