Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to check a particular element in a string variable Post 302287136 by Jalkukdi@10 on Friday 13th of February 2009 12:33:27 AM
Old 02-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by navjotsingh
Hi,
Im using HP-UX ,i guess that doesn't uses bash.Smilie
Hi Navjot,

I am also new to unix Smilie. But i have tried to this code and its working fine for checking the 3rd character of string to be 'c' :

Code:
i=`echo "abc123" | cut -c3`
echo $i

if [ "$i" == "c" ]
then
        statement
fi

if u r checking the strings in particular file then just give cut command.

Guru's plz correct me if I am wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a string in the variable

hi, I have a variable var1 as follows in the script. var1="one two three desformat=PDF xyz" I would like to check whether $var1 has a string "desformat=PDF" or not. Is there any command I can use (not need to creat a file)? Currently, I am using this: if ( grep "desformat=PDF"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josephwong
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

check if a variable contains a string

hi I have an if condition that states: if ; then exit how to translate this? $x is a path $y is a string that comes at the end of the path thx (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check the value of a string variable

hi to all, i want to check the value of a variable that it contains characters. for example i try the following: if then ......... i just want to check that in the specific line that is a variable called "passline" has the entry "password". But it can contain also other characters in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
4 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Array element & string variable

Hello, I am trying to assign $string = $a; #a= 10100 print " $string"; # showing 10100 I am using this $string as $result = index($string, $char, $offset); As above, is not capturing binary nos. in following format; $string = '10100'; so index is not working. kindly suggest. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shristi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! Yet another check element in array Question

Greetings, DISCLAIMER: My shell scripting is rusty so my question may be borderline stupid. You've been warned. I need to create a script that a) lists the content of zip files in a directory and b) sends out an `exception` report. My ZIP files contain a control file (for load check). I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to check whether my array contains element x

Hi All, I am new to perl I am stuck in simple problem I need your help I want to define a subroutine. sub check_if_entity_exists(@array_to_be_checked,$entityName) I have array as http-listener-1 http-listener-2 http-listener-3 http-listener-4 If i send http-listener-3 my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javaholics
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: check element in array and it's value

Hello, I want to see if element exists in array, if so then, check it's corresponding value. Column 4 is position and column 1 is the chromosome for it. There are duplicates for one position on one chromosome. I want to check if same position exists on different chromosome: Data... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
ADDSLASHES(3)								 1							     ADDSLASHES(3)

addslashes - Quote string with slashes

SYNOPSIS
string addslashes (string $str) DESCRIPTION
Returns a string with backslashes before characters that need to be escaped. These characters are single quote ( '), double quote ( "), backslash ( ) and NUL (the NULL byte). An example use of addslashes(3) is when you're entering data into string that is evaluated by PHP. For example, O'Reilly is stored in $str, you need to escape $str. (e.g. eval("echo '".addslashes($str)."';"); ) To escape database parameters, DBMS specific escape function (e.g. mysqli_real_escape_string(3) for MySQL or pg_escape_literal(3), pg_escape_string(3) for PostgreSQL) should be used for security reasons. DBMSes have differect escape specification for identifiers (e.g. Table name, field name) than parameters. Some DBMS such as PostgreSQL provides identifier escape function, pg_escape_identifier(3), but not all DBMS provides identifier escape API. If this is the case, refer to your database system manual for proper escaping method. If your DBMS doesn't have an escape function and the DBMS uses to escape special chars, you might be able to use this function only when this escape method is adequate for your database. Please note that use of addslashes(3) for database parameter escaping can be cause of security issues on most databases. The PHP directive magic_quotes_gpc was on by default before PHP 5.4, and it essentially ran addslashes(3) on all GET, POST, and COOKIE data. Do not use addslashes(3) on strings that have already been escaped with magic_quotes_gpc as you'll then do double escaping. The func- tion get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) may come in handy for checking this. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string to be escaped. RETURN VALUES
Returns the escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 An addslashes(3) example <?php $str = "Is your name O'Reilly?"; // Outputs: Is your name O'Reilly? echo addslashes($str); ?> SEE ALSO
stripcslashes(3), stripslashes(3), addcslashes(3), htmlspecialchars(3), quotemeta(3), get_magic_quotes_gpc(3). PHP Documentation Group ADDSLASHES(3)