Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read a file and store each value in a variable Post 302287021 by vgersh99 on Thursday 12th of February 2009 02:07:49 PM
Old 02-12-2009
Please search the forums FIRST - similar questions have been asked in the past!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

store output to a file and read from it

Hello all, I need to run snoop command for a period of time (a day) and extract remote host column from it to find out who is accessing my server. When I run the following on the command line it works snoop -port 22 | awk '{print $3}' but when I do snoop -port 22 | awk '{print $3}' | while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read each letter from file and store it in variable.

Dear friends, i am writing csh script i have one dat file containing following data.like this. 08FD3 03A26 000FA0 FFFF0 BBA0F 00000 00000 from the above file i want to read each letter and store it in one variable. how it is possible. please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read and store each line of a file to a variable

Hi all, I'm quite new to unix and hope that someone can help me on this. I'm using csh. Below is what i intend to do. 1. I stored some data in a file. 2. I intend to read the file line by line and store each line of data into a variable, so that i can used it later. Anyone have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seijihiko
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read xml tag attribute and store it in variable

Hi, How to read xml tag attributes and store into variable in shell script? Thanks, Swetha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: swetha123
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the contents of a file and store them in a variable

Hi Gurus, I am trying for a scenario where in I want to read the contents of a file line by line and then store them in variables. Below is the script: #!/bin/ksh while read line do id=`echo $line | cut -f1 -d |` name=`echo $line | cut -f2 -d |` echo $id ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to read two files, search for patterns and store the output in third file

hello i have two files temp.txt and temp_unique.text the second file consists the unique fields from the temp.txt file the strings stored are in the following form 4,4 17,12 15,65 4,4 14,41 15,65 65,89 1254,1298i'm able to run the following script to get the total count of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file line by line and store it in a variable to execute a program ?

Hello, I am quite new in shell scripting and I would like to write a little scritp to run a program on some parameters files. all my parameters files are in the same directory, so pick them up with ls *.para >>dirafter that I have a dir file like that: param1.para param2.para etc... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadok
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a value from a file and store in a variable?

Hi, I have a file service.xml which has following content: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Service Ver="2.31.13"/> I want to read the value of Ver (that is 2.31.13) and assign to a variable which i further use. Please help me in that. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmikant15
3 Replies
UCF.CONF(5)						      Debian GNU/Linux manual						       UCF.CONF(5)

NAME
ucf.conf - site-wide configuration file for ucf SYNOPSIS
/etc/ucf.conf DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/ucf.conf is actually a Bourne Shell snippet included during the package build process, and hence you may put any shell direc- tive in that file (just make very sure you know what you are doing). All the variables have reasonable default values, and some may be overridden on a per run or a per individual basis by using environment variables, and all configurable variables can be overridden by options to the scripts themselves. The value of a variable can be set so: a) Defaults exist in the rules file. These are the values used if no customization is done. b) Some variables can be set in the config file /etc/ucf.conf. These values override the defaults. c) Some variables can also be set by setting a corresponding environment variable. These values override the config file and the defaults. d) Using script command line options. All configurable variables may be set by this method, and will override the other methods above. Configuration File options At the moment, the user modifiable variables supported are: DEBUG Debugging information: The default value is 0 (no debugging information is printed). To enable debugging output, set the value to 1. VERBOSE Verbosity: The default value is 0 (quiet). To change the default behavior, set the value to 1. conf_force_conffold Force the installed file to be retained. The default is to have this variable unset, which makes the script ask in case of doubt. This can be overridden by the environment variable UCF_FORCE_CONFFOLD conf_force_conffnew Force the installed file to be overridden. The default is to have this variable unset, which makes the script ask in case of doubt. This can be overridden by the environment variable UCF_FORCE_CONFFNEW conf_source_dir This is the directory where the historical md5sums for a file are looked for. Specifically, the historical md5sums are looked for in either the file ${filename}.md5sum, or the subdirectory ${filename}.md5sum.d/ conf_old_mdsum_file Force the historical md5sums to be read from this file, rather than defaulting to living in the source directory. Set- ting this option overrides settings in the environment variable UCF_OLD_MDSUM_FILE Files System-wide defaults are placed in /etc/ucf.conf, SEE ALSO
ucf(1), BUGS
There are no bugs. Any resemblance thereof is delirium. Really. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Debian Feb 12 2002 UCF.CONF(5)