Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302286866 by Neo on Thursday 12th of February 2009 06:52:36 AM
Old 02-12-2009
Hey tlarkin!

Thanks for the great post.

When I talk about installing packages on "a remote server", I am talking about an environment where no GUI is possible. The server is only configured from a SSH connection.

I am not sure, and you are free to correct me, but I don't think OS X is the best choice for this type of "SSH-only command line remote admin" installations.

In your post, you conclude:

Quote:
I intalled TomCat, PHP 5 and MySQL on one of my servers through an installer package and it took all of 3 minutes to do so. Then configured it through the GUI. I just now need to brush up on my mysql command line abilities and I will be set.
Are you saying that you can install and run these packages and configure completely from the command line without the GUI, via SSH, just like a Linux server?

Honestly, I only use OS X as a desktop and when I find a package like MAMP (LAMP for OS X) it seems to require a GUI click-and-install approach. Even the directions for install do not discuss any OS X "pure command line" linstallation approach.

Are you saying you can do 100% remote install, upgrade and configuration vis SSH? Yes or No? Thanks.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex(3)				  libssh2 manual				libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex(3)

NAME
libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex - Tunnel a TCP connection through an SSH session SYNOPSIS
#include <libssh2.h> LIBSSH2_CHANNEL * libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex(LIBSSH2_SESSION *session, const char *host, int port, const char *shost, int sport); LIBSSH2_CHANNEL * libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip(LIBSSH2_SESSION *session, const char *host, int port); DESCRIPTION
session - Session instance as returned by libssh2_session_init_ex(3) host - Third party host to connect to using the SSH host as a proxy. port - Port on third party host to connect to. shost - Host to tell the SSH server the connection originated on. sport - Port to tell the SSH server the connection originated from. Tunnel a TCP/IP connection through the SSH transport via the remote host to a third party. Communication from the client to the SSH server remains encrypted, communication from the server to the 3rd party host travels in cleartext. RETURN VALUE
Pointer to a newly allocated LIBSSH2_CHANNEL instance, or NULL on errors. ERRORS
LIBSSH2_ERROR_ALLOC - An internal memory allocation call failed. SEE ALSO
libssh2_session_init_ex(3) libssh2 0.15 1 Jun 2007 libssh2_channel_direct_tcpip_ex(3)