Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed one-liner to print specific lines? Post 302286864 by Ilja on Thursday 12th of February 2009 06:49:50 AM
Old 02-12-2009
Sed one-liner to print specific lines?

I need to print specific lines from a file, say 2-5, 8, 12-15, 17, 19, 21-27. How do I achieve this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print specific lines with awk

Hi! How can I print out a specific range of rows, like "cat file | awk NR==5,NR==9", but in the END-statement? I have a small awk-script that finds specific rows in a file and saves the line number in an array, like this: awk ' BEGIN { count=0} /ZZZZ/ { list=NR ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bugenhagen
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print specific lines

I have a text file made of different blocks separated by blank lines. I need to print the blocks with odd indexes. How can I get it with awk? For example i need to print the first and the third block of a file like this: asgdg sadsd ssgsdgd ass uff fedd sddddso ieeduydd dddee deeo ssancnc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific lines?

I need to print specific lines 5,100,67,123 in a file. file name: today.csv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed one liner to Delete blank lines - Help required

Hi, cat test.txt BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine ello hi helo BlankLine BlankLine heylo BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine done BlankLine BlankLine BlankLine (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TomG
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c nbytes ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or bytes, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and bytes from 0. Tail is ignorant of UTF. TAIL(1)