Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sudo command is not working inside a script when placed in cron Post 302286862 by usha rao on Thursday 12th of February 2009 06:45:47 AM
Old 02-12-2009
I cannot access that file /etc/sudoers as i am not having the access.
Is there any other way other that running the script in root cron??

i tried this also sudo -u <user> -c "/etc/init.d/init.sss start >> /tmp/output_sss "
but it is also not working...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo command not working with cron job.

Hello, I have written a script that has a sudo command to change file permissions within it. When I run the script manually, the sudo command inside of it works fine. When the script is run through crontab I get the error "cron: not found". It the same user profile that I am using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with executing command inside a cron job

Hi All, I have scheduled a script in cron which writes output to the below file. ....>> /data/Target/wrapper_invoke_ds_job_`date '+%Y%m%d'`.ksh_out 2>&1 But the date command is not getting resolved in the format specified. It just resolves to the following. wrapper_invoke_MQ_ds_job_Tue... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkm_oec
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo chmod not working through script

Legends, I am trying sudo chmod from one shell to different machine. but getting the error. Please let me know if there is any way to do this. A#pk} for i in Bl1 Brl1 >> do >> echo $i >> ssh $i sudo chmod 755 /etc/services >> done Bl1 Password: bash: sudo: command not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo inside a here document not working

Have a sudo statement inside of a here document. It prompts me for a password, but doesnt wait for me to enter my password. Is there a way I can use the command without sudo or anyway that I can enter the password correctly? Eg : while read remotehost do ssh -t $2@$remotehost <<REMOTE... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script is not working from cron while working manually

Hello, I am facing a very strange problem when I run my script manuallu ./Fetchcode which is using to connect with MKS integrity from linux end it workks fine but when I run it from cron it doesn't work.Can someone help me 1) How could I check my script when it is running from cron like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working in cron but working fine manually

Help. My script is working fine when executed manually but the cron seems not to catch up the command when registered. The script is as follow: #!/bin/sh for file in file_1.txt file_2.txt file_3.txt do awk '{ print "0" }' $file > tmp.tmp mv tmp.tmp $file done And the cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ash busybox read command not working inside function....

I have a script that has to execute a read command in a function, this is in an ash busybox. The code is... trapcatch () { echo "Ctl-c Detected, what do you want to do?" echo "Please choose the number of one of the following options" echo "1. Jump past this Set" echo "2. Exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tesser
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command in cron not working

the following unix command gives me the number of records avaiable in my application /navs/sys/appl/bin/record list This gives number of rows and colums. I want to generate one text file everyday at 6:10 AM using cron So I added following entery into crontable #Generate record file at... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not working inside ksh script but works fine outside

Hi, I am a bit confused ,why would a sed command work fine outside of ksh script but not inside. e.g I want to replace all the characters which end with a value and have space at end of it. so my command for it is : sed -i "s/$SEPARATOR /$SEPARATOR/g" file_name This is working fine in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)