Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get directory name from its path? Post 302286824 by pludi on Thursday 12th of February 2009 03:08:06 AM
Old 02-12-2009
Code:
$ test=`pwd/folder1
$ basename $test
folder1

basename will return everything after the last forward slash.
dirname will return everything up to the last forward slash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining directory path

Hello, I have a script where I get the full directory path of the script being executed: BASE=$0 echo "BASE:" $BASE The output looks like this: BASE: /webapps/appsdev/ACURA/rlz/oses3.sh I'd like to truncate the shell name, leaving just the directory path. The directory path can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwalsek
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable directory name in path

I need to write a login script for multiple computers, however, one of the directories in question will have a different name from computer to computer. ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/<unique filename>.default/myfile For the directory named <unique filename>.default , I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getting real path to directory

Hi friends, Need your help. The question is: 1) We have directory '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 2) And have symlink pointing to it like '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' '/AnotherOneDirectory/symlink' -> '/SomeDirectory/SubDirectory' 3) Need to get real path without symlinks knowing only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandrewo
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

change directory path

Hi, when ever i login my unix system it is going to root directory....how can i change it specified directory.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
DIRNAME(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							DIRNAME(3)

NAME
dirname, basename - Parse pathname components SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char *dirname(char *path); char *basename(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The functions dirname and basename break a null-terminated pathname string into directory and filename components. In the usual case, dirname returns the string up to, but not including, the final '/', and basename returns the component following the final '/'. Trailing '/' characters are not counted as part of the pathname. If path does not contain a slash, dirname returns the string "." while basename returns a copy of path. If path is the string "/", then both dirname and basename return the string "/". If path is a NULL pointer or points to an empty string, then both dirname and basename return the string ".". Concatenating the string returned by dirname, a "/", and the string returned by basename yields a complete pathname. Both dirname and basename may modify the contents of path, so if you need to preserve the pathname string, copies should be passed to these functions. Furthermore, dirname and basename may return pointers to statically allocated memory which may be overwritten by subsequent calls. The following list of examples (taken from SUSv2) shows the strings returned by dirname and basename for different paths: path dirname basename "/usr/lib" "/usr" "lib" "/usr/" "/" "usr" "usr" "." "usr" "/" "/" "/" "." "." "." ".." "." ".." EXAMPLE
char *dirc, *basec, *bname, *dname; char *path = "/etc/passwd"; dirc = strdup(path); basec = strdup(path); dname = dirname(dirc); bname = basename(basec); printf("dirname=%s, basename=%s ", dname, bname); free(dirc); free(basec); RETURN VALUE
Both dirname and basename return pointers to null-terminated strings. BUGS
In versions of glibc up to and including 2.2.1, dirname does not correctly handle pathnames with trailing '/' characters, and generates a segmentation violation if given a NULL argument. CONFORMING TO
SUSv2 SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), GNU
2000-12-14 DIRNAME(3)