Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302286734 by tlarkin on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 11:03:10 PM
Old 02-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Yes, I agree. Just because OS X has a amazing GUI does not mean you cannot use the command line if you desire.

On the other hand, most users will be happy with the GUI as a desktop model.

More than likely I would not choose OS X as a remote server as I do agree most packages for OS X are designed for GUI installation.

PS: I recently installed LAMP for OS X, called MAMP, and it was the easiest LAMP/MAMP install I have ever seen.
Neo, I used to admin a bunch of Windows and Novell servers at my old job. 80 servers, 10,000 PC windows clients, maybe 300 Macs. I did all the Mac work with one other guy and then did some PC work.

Now at my new job I have 30+ Xserves running 10.5.5 Server, and 6,700 Mac clients all in a pure open directory environment. I use a third party suite called Casper from Jamf Software.

I can tell you from my experience that package deployment is not only easy, it is way customizable and there are so many things I can do with it. Very very robust products. I can push out an application to all my clients with in a day if I really wanted to from my office. I can send them jobs to netboot and automatically reimage, from my office across the WAN.

Apple is lacking a few things here and there but really to be honest it is some of the best things I have worked with, when it works. I don't mean to say they don't work but I have definitely had my isues. 10.5.3 was a giant heap of dung and so was Work Group Manager 10.5.3 I wanted to thunder kick all my Mac servers at that point in time.

If you are going to run Web servers I would say Linux all the way, but if you want a file server, home directories, open directory, DHCP, or any other service you can run on a sever OS X Server isn't that bad.

My main comment from before was suppose to be, you can do everything from the command line or the GUI, you have a choice, which no Linux or Unix distro really has accomplished yet. Maybe Ubuntu has come close, but I can't compare the end user experience to that of a Mac.

I intalled TomCat, PHP 5 and MySQL on one of my servers through an installer package and it took all of 3 minutes to do so. Then configured it through the GUI. I just now need to brush up on my mysql command line abilities and I will be set.

Just saying is all.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
PSERVER(1)							      pserver								PSERVER(1)

NAME
pserver - NetWare print server SYNOPSIS
pserver [ -S server ] [ -h ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -q queue name ] [ -c command ] [ -j job type ] [ -t timeout ] [ -d ] DESCRIPTION
pserver is a program that connects to print queues on NetWare servers and feeds incoming print jobs to the Linux printing system. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the print server name at the server. -P password password is the password to use for the print server at the server. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, pserver prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if the print server does not require a password. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -q queue name queue name is the name of the print queue you want to service. -c command When a job is received from the print queue, pserver forks off a new process, and feeds the job file to stdin. command is the printing command that is executed for each job. The default command is 'lpr'. You can insert several flags into the command, preceded by %. These are replaced with values retrieved from the queue structure for the print job. %u: This field will be replaced by the name of the user who posted this print job. %d: This field will be replaced by the job description field of this print job. -j job type Each job in a NetWare print queue has a job type. For print jobs, this corresponds to the number of the form the job should be printed on. You can tell pserver that it should only receive jobs for one specific form from the queue. The default is -1, which means that everything is received. -t timeout Pserver is not informed by NetWare servers when new jobs arrive. So a polling scheme has to be used. When there are no jobs to service, timeout tells pserver how long to wait between two requests. The default is 30 seconds. When a job is finished, pserver asks the NetWare server immediately for a new job, and does not wait timeout seconds. -d Normally, pserver daemonizes itself. -d tells it not to do so. This is useful if you want to see the diagnostic messages that are printed when a error occurs. SEE ALSO
nwclient(5), slist(1), pqlist(1), ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8) CREDITS
pserver was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) pserver 10/22/1996 PSERVER(1)