Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wildcard in Cshell find command Post 302286698 by phudgens on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 07:20:44 PM
Old 02-11-2009
Wildcard in Cshell find command

The following command works fine in my cshell script:

set Deliverables = `find . -name "[Dd]eliverables" -print`

The following command does not work:

set LASFiles = `find . -name "*.[Ll][Aa][Ss]" -print`

In the first example, when tested in an if statement, the script will continue whether a folder or file called Deliverables (or deliverables) exists or not.

In the second example the script will post the error "No Match" and hang if no .las (or .LAS) files are present. Apparently there is something that the Cshell does not like about my wildcard. Does anyone know the trick here?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find replace a particular string of data with wildcard

Hi I am having a csv file in which lots of data are available wherein i need to find a particular kind of data and replace it with null value. here is the sample data.. I need to find the string starting with 404-064- and up to the first space i have to remove the data and keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail command with wildcard file name

Please help with the following command tail -f /appdata/logs/alert_audit517.txt | grep "Sep 02" The problem I have is with the file name "alert_audit517.txt". The 3 digit number at the end of the file name changes, so I need the file name to use a wildcard. Ive tried alert_audit***.txt, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertson1995
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing wildcard parameters to find via a variable

I have a script to fix permissions which is made up of blocks like: FS_ROOT=/home/shared/Photos FS_EXCLUDE=( \( -path */.webviews -o -path */.thumbnails \) -prune -o ) find $FS_ROOT ${FS_EXCLUDE} -type d -not -perm 2770 -exec chmod 2770 "{}" \; That fragment works as expected, but no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with wildcard directory

I want to look if there is any file inside a specific directory which was modified before 2 days. I wrote the find command, but the problem is there is one directory and that is a random directory generated by unix, so not sure on how to code for that on the find command. find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini0603
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard use with SED command

Hello, I am fairly new to Linux in general and I am trying to use SED to make some replacements in a file. Below is sample of what the file is like. <Grouping id="024"><Source>ABC</Source><GroupingKey>000000000816</GroupingKey></Grouping><Grouping... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: runforfun7
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"GET" command retrieves multiple files while using wildcard

Hi All I am using GNU/Linux This is regarding the get command to retrieve files (filename with wild card characters) from remote server. I thought Get command can retrieve only 1 file irrespective of the files it has on the remote server And it is the function of mget to retrieve all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace with wildcard

HI there, I am trying to find and replace with wildcard with data chr1 69511 69511 A G 1/1:0,34:791,78,0:78:34 0/1:55,60:1130,0,1513:99:116 1/1:0,28:630,63,0:63:28 0/1:0,34:626,57,0:57:34 To this chr1 69511 69511 A G homo hetero homo hetero Where I find and replace 0/1 with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
3 Replies
fileevent(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      fileevent(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
fileevent - Execute a script when a channel becomes readable or writable SYNOPSIS
fileevent channelId readable ?script? fileevent channelId writable ?script? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to create file event handlers. A file event handler is a binding between a channel and a script, such that the script is evaluated whenever the channel becomes readable or writable. File event handlers are most commonly used to allow data to be received from another process on an event-driven basis, so that the receiver can continue to interact with the user while waiting for the data to arrive. If an application invokes gets or read on a blocking channel when there is no input data available, the process will block; until the input data arrives, it will not be able to service other events, so it will appear to the user to ``freeze up''. With fileevent, the process can tell when data is present and only invoke gets or read when they won't block. The channelId argument to fileevent refers to an open channel, such as the return value from a previous open or socket command. If the script argument is specified, then fileevent creates a new event handler: script will be evaluated whenever the channel becomes readable or writable (depending on the second argument to fileevent). In this case fileevent returns an empty string. The readable and writable event handlers for a file are independent, and may be created and deleted separately. However, there may be at most one readable and one writable handler for a file at a given time in a given interpreter. If fileevent is called when the specified handler already exists in the invoking interpreter, the new script replaces the old one. If the script argument is not specified, fileevent returns the current script for channelId, or an empty string if there is none. If the script argument is specified as an empty string then the event handler is deleted, so that no script will be invoked. A file event handler is also deleted automatically whenever its channel is closed or its interpreter is deleted. A channel is considered to be readable if there is unread data available on the underlying device. A channel is also considered to be readable if there is unread data in an input buffer, except in the special case where the most recent attempt to read from the channel was a gets call that could not find a complete line in the input buffer. This feature allows a file to be read a line at a time in nonblocking mode using events. A channel is also considered to be readable if an end of file or error condition is present on the underlying file or device. It is important for script to check for these conditions and handle them appropriately; for example, if there is no special check for end of file, an infinite loop may occur where script reads no data, returns, and is immediately invoked again. A channel is considered to be writable if at least one byte of data can be written to the underlying file or device without blocking, or if an error condition is present on the underlying file or device. Event-driven I/O works best for channels that have been placed into nonblocking mode with the fconfigure command. In blocking mode, a puts command may block if you give it more data than the underlying file or device can accept, and a gets or read command will block if you attempt to read more data than is ready; no events will be processed while the commands block. In nonblocking mode puts, read, and gets never block. See the documentation for the individual commands for information on how they handle blocking and nonblocking channels. The script for a file event is executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure) in the interpreter in which the fileevent command was invoked. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. In addition, the file event handler is deleted if it ever returns an error; this is done in order to prevent infinite loops due to buggy han- dlers. CREDITS
fileevent is based on the addinput command created by Mark Diekhans. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), fconfigure(n), gets(n), puts(n), read(n) KEYWORDS
asynchronous I/O, blocking, channel, event handler, nonblocking, readable, script, writable. Tcl 7.5 fileevent(n)