Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running scripts via su
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running scripts via su Post 302286425 by otheus on Wednesday 11th of February 2009 06:05:01 AM
Old 02-11-2009
The user "bin" doesn't have a home directory, or if it does, it's not the one shared by root, and so there is no profile to load. You can fix this by going into the passwd table and giving bin a home directory, such as "/root" or "/" or a new directory like "/home/bin" and installing an appropriate .*shrc file there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts parallely

Hi, Posting my first query in this Forum,here's my query i want to execute 100 .sql files in unix having some code for connecting with db and executing procedures inside that,that to be run parallel like threads.want to run all the 100 .sql files simultanously. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santho
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripts running under different users

what command can i use to tell if a script is running under different users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csnewbie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts from home

I have created a Bourne shell script that helps with metric counting and it has to be run in a ClearCase view. It has been placed in a directory where if User A cd'd to it and runs it, a bunch of errors occur. Because this is a tool that several users would want access to and the program assumes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts unattended

Hi guys just wondering how i could make one of my scripts run unattended without the use of cron? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically Running Scripts

Can someone advise me how to get started automatically running scripts? I believe it has something to do with cron? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffreydavisjr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running 2 scripts one after the other using cron

I would like to run two scripts using cron one immediately after the other. Is it enough to put them one after another in the cron file to run at the same time, or will this cause them to run concurrently? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3210
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running scripts in minicom

Hi, I am new to use minicom. I want script to run on minicom with username and password as automated.(Expect). please could anyone suggest the sample code for it. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
2 Replies

9. Solaris

running scripts from cron

I need to run a script (from cron) that runs a second script. What worries me is that second script, when run from bash, upon finishing doesn't return to bash unless I press the 'Enter' key. I presume that's because last command in that script ends with & Could that be a problem for cron?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts from a list

I am writing a bash script to run test some scripts. The names scripts of the scripts to tests are stored in an array. scptArr='chcksfrd.bash' scptArr='compute-misfit.bash' scptArr='compute-travel-times.bash' scptArr='create-data-tinv.bash' scptArr='create-docs.bash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies
RUNUSER(1)							   User Commands							RUNUSER(1)

NAME
runuser - run a command with substitute user and group ID SYNOPSIS
runuser [options] -u user command [argument...] runuser [options] [-] [ user [argument...] ] DESCRIPTION
runuser allows to run commands with substitute user and group ID. If the option -u not given, fallback to su compatible semantic and shell is executed. The difference between the commands runuser and su is that runuser does not ask for password (because it may be executed by root user only) and it uses a different PAM configuration. The command runuser does not have to be installed with suid permissions. When called without arguments runuser defaults to running an interactive shell as root. For backward compatibility runuser defaults to not change the current directory and to only set the environment variables HOME and SHELL (plus USER and LOGNAME if the target user is not root). This version of runuser uses PAM for session management. OPTIONS
-c command, --command=command Pass command to the shell with the -c option. --session-command=command Same as -c but do not create a new session (discouraged). -f, --fast Pass -f to the shell which may or may not be useful depending on the shell. -g, --group=group specify the primary group, this option is allowed for root user only -G, --supp-group=group specify a supplemental group, this option is allowed for root user only -, -l, --login Starts the shell as login shell with an environment similar to a real login: o clears all environment variables except for TERM o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, PATH o changes to the target user's home directory o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell -m, -p, --preserve-environment Preserves the whole environment, ie does not set HOME, SHELL, USER nor LOGNAME. The option is ignored if the option --login is specified. -s SHELL, --shell=SHELL Runs the specified shell instead of the default. The shell to run is selected according to the following rules in order: o the shell specified with --shell o The shell specified in the environment variable SHELL if the --preserve-environment option is used. o the shell listed in the passwd entry of the target user o /bin/sh If the target user has a restricted shell (i.e. not listed in /etc/shells) the --shell option and the SHELL environment variables are ignored unless the calling user is root. --help Display help text and exit. --version Display version information and exit. CONFIG FILES
runuser reads the /etc/default/runuser and /etc/login.defs configuration files. The following configuration items are relevant for runuser: ENV_PATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for a regular user. The default value is /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin. ENV_ROOTPATH (string) ENV_SUPATH (string) Defines the PATH environment variable for root. The default value is /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin. ALWAYS_SET_PATH (boolean) If set to yes and --login and --preserve-environment were not specified runuser initializes PATH. EXIT STATUS
runuser normally returns the exit status of the command it executed. If the command was killed by a signal, runuser returns the number of the signal plus 128. Exit status generated by runuser itself: 1 Generic error before executing the requested command 126 The requested command could not be executed 127 The requested command could was not found FILES
/etc/pam.d/runuser default PAM configuration file /etc/pam.d/runuser-l PAM configuration file if --login is specified /etc/default/runuser runuser specific logindef config file /etc/login.defs global logindef config file SEE ALSO
pam(8), shells(5), login.defs(5), su(1) AUTHOR
Derived from coreutils' su which was based on an implemenation from David MacKenzie and Fedora runuser command from Dan Walsh. AVAILABILITY
The runuser command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux August 2012 RUNUSER(1)