Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove a newline character at the end of filename Post 302285977 by sunpraveen on Tuesday 10th of February 2009 04:10:39 AM
Old 02-10-2009
Amio,

Not sure why you are using awk with date command. You can as well use date command as shown below.

Code:
month=`date '+%b'`
day=`date '+%d'`
year=`date '+%Y'`
time=`date '+%H%M%S'`

Use man date for more options.

Then, try to execute your script. You should have no newline characters.

HTH, Smilie

Regards,

Praveen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove the newline character while appending into a file

Hi All, We append the output of a file's size in a file. But a newline character is appended after the variable. Pls help how to clear this. filesize=`ls -l test.txt | awk `{print $5}'` echo File size of test.txt is $filesize bytes >> logfile.txt The output we got is, File size of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character conditionally

Hi All, I have 5000 records like this Request_id|Type|Status|Priority|Ticket Submitted Date and Time|Actual Resolved Date and Time|Current Ticket Owner Group|Case final Ticket Owner Group|Customer Severity|Reported Symptom/Request|Component|Hot Topic|Reason for Missed SLA|Current Ticket... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_53933
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove \n <newline> character inside the records.

Hi, In my file, I have '\n' characters inside a single record. Because of this, a single records appears in many lines and looks like multiple records. In the below file. File 1 ==== 1,nmae,lctn,da\n t 2,ghjik,o\n ut,de\n fk Expected output after the \n removed File 2 =====... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character or join the broken record

Hi, I have a very huge file, around 1GB of data. I want to remove the newline characters in the file but not preceded by the original end delimiter {} sample data will look like this 1234567 abcd{} 1234sssss as67 abcd{} 12dsad3dad 4sdad567 abcdsadd{} this should look like this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove newline character between two delimiters

hi i am having delimited .dat file having content like below. test.dat(5 line of records) ====== PT2~Stag~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~~UNCEF R20~~2012-05-24 ~2014-05-24~~ PT2~Stag y~Pt2 Stag Test. Updated~PT2 S T~Area~METR~~~2012-05-24~2014-05-24~~test PT2~Pt2 Stag Test~~PT2 S... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushine11
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last newline character..

Hi all.. I have a text file which looks like below: abcd efgh ijkl (blank space) I need to remove only the last (blank space) from the file. When I try wc -l the file name,the number of lines coming is 3 only, however blank space is there in the file. I have tried options like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathya83aa
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add newline character at end of file?

Hi All, I have following piece of code in UNIX C Shell script and I want to add one more command which can add newline at the end of file only if there is no newline character exists. foreach file (`ls $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN`) if ( -f $dd_PLAYCARD_EDI_IN/${file} ) then cat -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending newline character End of File

Hi Gurus, Need help. I'm a beginner in Unix. I have a requirement, need to add or append newline (\n) character in file. Sample Data: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#Output: 1|Main|Test|~# 2|Main|Hello|~# 3|Main|Unix|~# 4|Main|File|~#\n -- append only... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gouri Solleti
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Warning while sorting : A newline character was added to the end of file

Hi, I am trying to sort a csv file which has say 10 lines each line having a row size that is upto 30183 no. of COLUMNS (Row length = 30183). There is a LINE FEED (LF) at the end of each line. When I try to sort this file say, based on the second FIELD using the below command, sort -t ',' +1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DHeisenberg
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)